Recording two sequential shows cuts first show (2 Viewers)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon64 3000+(Venice E6)
    Memory: 2x256 + 1x512MB DDR400
    Motherboard: Asus A8N-E
    Motherboard Chipset: Nforce4 Ultra
    Motherboard Bios: V. 1013
    Video Card: ATI X550
    Video Card Driver: ATI 6.3
    Sound Card: Onboard
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: ?
    1. TV Card: Twinhan Cab CI
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
    1. TV Card Driver: BDA 1.2.3.8 WHQL
    2. TV Card: Twinhan Cab CI
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-C
    2. TV Card Driver: BDA 1.2.3.8 WHQL
    Video Codec: MPV
    Audio Codec: MPA
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: TDC (denmark)
    HTPC Case: Custom
    Power Supply: 350W noname
    Remote: MCE 2005
    TV: Phillips 28" PAL CRT
    TV - HTPC Connection: VGA->SCART
    SVN-Snapshot: mediaportal-svn-06-10-2006--01-02.rar

Problem:
    I just recently recorded Scrubs and Simpsons from the same channel. Scrubs was first immediatly followed by Simpsons.

When i watched the two recordings, Scrubs(first show) had been cut off when the Simpson recording started. Luckily i could watch the rest of Scrubs in the beginning of the Simpsons recording, but definetly a nasty issue.

I have two tuners, with the same channels and im 99.99% sure i had added all the channels to both tuners when i scheduled the recordings. Anyway, shouldnt this work with even one tuner(after all the overlap between the recording just needs to be share between two recordings)?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ziphnor said:
    I have two tuners, with the same channels and im 99.99% sure i had added all the channels to both tuners when i scheduled the recordings. Anyway, shouldnt this work with even one tuner(after all the overlap between the recording just needs to be share between two recordings)?
    With 2 tuners, this problem should never occur, and as you say, even with a single tuner it should not occur when the sequential shows are on the same channel.

I recall that there was a lot of dicscussion about this a while ago - but I cannot recall what the outcome was.... :( Maybe someone else can recall?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I dont think there was a lot of outcome actually; no one was sure that it used to work correctly or whether this is how it should behave.

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    For the moment. It appears that you need two tuners to record two sequential shows on the same channel. This is due to the fact
    that postrecord of the first show overlaps prerecord on the second show.

I think the right behavior for this special seconario is to have no
    postrecord for the first show and no prerecord for the second show.

If it could be done like this then you would only need one tuner.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Mr Hipp said:
    I think the right behavior for this special seconario is to have no
    postrecord for the first show and no prerecord for the second show.

That may be ok for people lucky enough to live in countries where the networks can actually keep to a schedule, but in good ole Australia, where I have a ten minute buffer that is often still not long enough then we'll still have the same issues.

The outcome last time was Mr Mario (from memory) asked if anyone could confirm what version of MP this used to work with. I *think* it was around v .13 but am not certain. I am away on business at the moment, so haven't been able to check.

I think this would be a good test for anyone with older installations of MP to try and report their findings. If we can get two recordings on the same channel with one tuner card working again it will be a big improvement.

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think you missunderstand me (or?)

We should still keep the postrecord of the second show and the pre-record of the first show.

Or is it me not understand you :)

Mr Hipp

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I think you mis understand me. We should have the pre and post record of both shows. Since they are on the same channel this should be possible (and used to be the case).

At the moment for us Australians, our shows always run up to ten minutes late, so if the show stops recording as soon as the next one is scheduled then we still end up with part of the show at the beginning of the next.

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Then I don't understand how you manage with one tv-card. One tv-card recording to two files at the same time. Is this possible?

Can someone confirm that this is how it used to be done in the past?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    if the two shows are on the same channel then why shouldn't it be possible? Just record to two files at the same time. In theory it should be easier to make two files with identical content than two compeltely different files.

Already a few others ahve confirmed this was the way it was. Not sure which threads, because there are a few about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom