Reference rasterizer problem (1 Viewer)

thekitehunte

Portal Member
December 16, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Can you help please, I'm trying to run MediaPortal on my notebook with an external flat screen (Samsung Synchmaster 215TW) via the external VGA at the screen's native resolution of 1680 x 1050.
I downloaded the latest graphics drivers from Intel and everything works fine - including all media in WMP.. However MediaPortal doesn't like it - if I try loading it using the external monitor I get 'switching to the reference rasterizer'. As I said, the computer works fine with the monitor otherwise.

I tried to fool MP by getting it loaded using the laptop screen first, then switching to the external screen, but MP crashes with:
An exception has occurred. MediaPortal has to be closed. Error in the application
-2005530516(D3DERR_INVALIDCALC)
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Deviceget_DeviceCaps()
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFont.Reloadfont

I have the latest DirectX 9.0c and reloaded it with a new download. I have run DXDIAG It reports no problems and the tests all work.

MP works fine on the external monitor at 1024x768 (twinned with the laptop screen)

As it is only MP which won't run, I suspect a bug, but any ideas?

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 (1400mhz)
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0
MediaPortal Skin: MCE
Windows VersionXP : Pro SP2
Memory: 500mb
Video Card: Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME
Video Card Driver: Intel 6.14.10.4497 (2/7/2006)

thekitehunte

Portal Member
December 16, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I guess the resounding silence means this is not something anyone has come across before. Does anyone else run at 1680x1050? It would be great if anyone could try out that resolution.....

MongarEric

Portal Member
March 8, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I get this error any time I exit media portal and then try to run the program again. I tried to set the thumbnails to the lowest setting and that has not worked for me. I can only get media portal to run again by restarting my computer.

ericko777

Portal Member
June 1, 2008
My mistake... for some skin...lower the thumbernail was helping.... but I realize that isnt just that.... for some skins...like monochrome, there is some XML that affect graphic card to help the compatibility.... try to install those XML with that skin...

Another tought was that my GC was build for DX10.... I just do want to accept that Im running vista over my GC and media portal keep telling my that my GC isnt enough powerful

MongarEric

Portal Member
March 8, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I tried copying over the XML files from Monochrome, I think they were the same files you were talking about. That didn't help, so I've tried setting the skin to the default and that doesn't work either. Now media portal won't start at all. Any time I try to run it, the reference rasterizer warning box opens and then media portal just hangs. Are there any other settings I could have messed around with to cause this?

arran

Portal Member
December 10, 2008
Home Country
I am getting this also on primary laptop screen, 1600 x 1200. If I turn resolution to 1400 x 1050 error goes away.

Error is "Switching to the reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire Direct 3D feature set, but runs very slowly"

migube

Portal Pro
November 9, 2007
Hello,

I just installed the latest beta (30 08 09) on a fresh installed Windows 7 on an old N800C laptop with an ATI 7500 32MB.

MP works fine on XP, but on Windows 7, It won't start, giving the rasterize errors.
Dxdiag shows no error with the installed drivers.

Any idea why it would not work on windows 7, could it be due to the newer Directx version buit in?

tx

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom