[RELEASE] RoM-Jacket for Windows 7 (1 Viewer)

sudopinion

August 20, 2012
Usa
Home Country
Burundi Burundi
Hi everyone. I thought maybe users here could use something like RoM-Jacket. I'm considering adding support for MediaPortal and the MyEmulators plugin. Know that this software is still in beta, and contains incomplete features, however a lot of functionality is ready to go. Please respond to this thread with any problems or bugs you find.
Thanks!

RoM-Jacket
v.95b
http://code.google.com/p/rom-jacket/

What it is:

A universal rom-library interface kit.

Uses the roms you have to download, install and auto-configure :

80+ supported consoles, computers and arcade machines
50+ emulators
7 frontends

Full HD backgrounds, high-quality icons, banners and preview videos for all supported consoles.

Localize each ROM's assets and configurations.

Convert ROMs into executables:

Select a game and even an entire library to play instantly from a thumb-drive.

Supports the following systems:
Nintendo 64
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Jaguar CD
Flash Games
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Game Cube
Nintendo Famicom
Nintendo N.E.S
Panasonic 3DO
NEC PC-FX
Philips CD-I
Sega Genesis
Sega Master System
Commodore Amiga CD32
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Saturn
Sega CD
Sega 32X
Sony Playstation
Sony Playstation 2
Super Nintendo
Super Famicom
TurboGrafx 16
Supergrafx
PC Engine
PC Engine CD
TurboGrafx CD
Vectrex
Windows Games
ColecoVision
Mattel Intellivision
Emerson Arcadia 2001
MAME
CPS I, II & III
NeoGeo MVS
NeoGeo CD
Sega Model 2
Sega Model 3
Sega Naomi
Sammy Atomiswave
Taito Type X2

Apple IIe
Apple IIgs
Atari ST
Atari 800
Acorn BBC
Acorn Electron
FM Towns
Commodore 64
Sinclair ZX Spectrum
MSX
Sam Coupe
Commodore Amiga
Amstrad CPC
X68000
NEC PC 98
Fujitsu (FM-7)
NeoGeo Pocket
NeoGeo Pocket Color
Sony PSP
Atari Lynx
Wonder Swan
Wonder Swan Color
Sega Game Gear
Nintendo DS
Gameboy
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
Virtual Boy

Last edited:

gamingexpert

Portal Pro
August 10, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just installed it and haven't configured it. First notes:

- The default installation path is C:\RJ but I hate programs installing in random places like that. I like to keep my folder structure organized, so programs should go in the programs folder. I have 64 bit Windows 7 so I had to decide whether to put it in "Program Files (x86)" or "Program Files". Since I didn't see anything about a 64 bit version I just put it in the x86 folder, but then when I started the config it asked me if I wanted to use the 64 bit version. Therefore I should have put it in the normal 64 bit Program Files folder. So I want/need to uninstall it and install again choosing the correct path, but (this leads me to the next point):

- There's no uninstall option I can find (in Control Panel > Programs, or in the start menu). (Is it safe to just delete the folder?)

- I don't see any shortcuts in the start menu.

- I'm also wondering if the program is incompatible with spaces in filenames/folder paths. That would explain the weird install location. But if it really can only work without spaces then that should be clearly stated.

Last edited:

sudopinion

August 20, 2012
Usa
Home Country
Burundi Burundi
I just installed it and haven't configured it. First notes:

- The default installation path is C:\RJ but I hate programs installing in random places like that. I like to keep my folder structure organized, so programs should go in the programs folder. I have 64 bit Windows 7 so I had to decide whether to put it in "Program Files (x86)" or "Program Files". Since I didn't see anything about a 64 bit version I just put it in the x86 folder, but then when I started the config it asked me if I wanted to use the 64 bit version. Therefore I should have put it in the normal 64 bit Program Files folder. So I want/need to uninstall it and install again choosing the correct path, but (this leads me to the next point):

- There's no uninstall option I can find (in Control Panel > Programs, or in the start menu). (Is it safe to just delete the folder?)

- I don't see any shortcuts in the start menu.

- I'm also wondering if the program is incompatible with spaces in filenames/folder paths. That would explain the weird install location. But if it really can only work without spaces then that should be clearly stated.

You can install to almost any location you'd like (Network locations are untested).
RoM-Jacket is safe to delete in any way you see fit.
Daemon Tools (should you need it for Saturn or FMTowns), XBMC, Mediabrowser and any drivers you need add entries to the add/remove programs list.
RoM-Jacket does not create shortcuts in your start menu. The desktop icons and additions to your favorites menu in windows explorer are deleted if you "Initialize" or reset RoM-Jacket.
RoM-Jacket is compatible with spaces in file and folder names.

Good luck and don't hesitate to reply to this thread or contact me in any other way should you encounter any difficulties.

Last edited:

gamingexpert

Portal Pro
August 10, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Wow that was a quick response. Okay I deleted the folder, installed into C:\Program Files\Rom Jacket , and now I'm going through the configuration, and here's another note:

- The configuration wizard should let you create new folders when you're browsing for a folder location (like for emulators or games). Also, once you select a folder it should show you the full folder path and wait for you to confirm, like how the installer works (because I wasn't sure if the folder I chose for emulators would simply make folders within it for each emulator, or if it would make a new folder called "Emulators" and new folders within that for each emulator. but it just jumped to the next step of the wizard with no way to go back or check. So I just had to open windows explorer and go to the location to make a new folder, but then I saw the folder was already made).

- When locating daemon tools, I wasn't sure if I already had it installed or not, but I guess there's probably no way for the wizard to check for me. Also, it'd be nice if when it opens the browse dialog, it opened into the Program Files folder (or x86? wherever it usually installs...) instead of Documents.

- Also, relating to the last post, it would be smart to add an uninstaller for RoM-Jacket (and maybe related/installed tools/emulators) and a start menu folder.

- And are you saying if I double click the "Initialize-Rom-Jacket" shortcut, it will reset the program? Because I really have no idea what Initialize does, and if it does that, that should be clear so people don't accidentally reset settings or something. Initialize sounds like it simply launches the program.

sudopinion

August 20, 2012
Usa
Home Country
Burundi Burundi
Wow that was a quick response. Okay I deleted the folder, installed into C:\Program Files\Rom Jacket , and now I'm going through the configuration, and here's another note:

- The configuration wizard should let you create new folders when you're browsing for a folder location (like for emulators or games). Also, once you select a folder it should show you the full folder path and wait for you to confirm, like how the installer works (because I wasn't sure if the folder I chose for emulators would simply make folders within it for each emulator, or if it would make a new folder called "Emulators" and new folders within that for each emulator. but it just jumped to the next step of the wizard with no way to go back or check. So I just had to open windows explorer and go to the location to make a new folder, but then I saw the folder was already made).

- When locating daemon tools, I wasn't sure if I already had it installed or not, but I guess there's probably no way for the wizard to check for me. Also, it'd be nice if when it opens the browse dialog, it opened into the Program Files folder (or x86? wherever it usually installs...) instead of Documents.

- Also, relating to the last post, it would be smart to add an uninstaller for RoM-Jacket (and maybe related/installed tools/emulators) and a start menu folder.

- And are you saying if I double click the "Initialize-Rom-Jacket" shortcut, it will reset the program? Because I really have no idea what Initialize does, and if it does that, that should be clear so people don't accidentally reset settings or something. Initialize sounds like it simply launches the program.

Good advice. There are many, MANY conveniences I'd like to add to the program, but I'm trying to focus on functionality first. This program is written in windows batch and I'm struggling with its limitations.

in·i·tial·ize
Set to the value or put in the condition appropriate to the start of an operation

You may be right about this. I'll consider alternatives.
The documentation is pretty extensive, but is a wip as well.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/413403/index.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom