Translation powered by Transifex.com for MediaPortal 2 and many community plugins (1 Viewer)

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    OK, sorry, but I must be a freakin' idiot. I log in to the translator page, but I don't see any "request to be a translator" button. I have clicked on pretty much everything on that page. The farthest I ever managed to get was to request a translation because I hoped that would allow me to create the translation (slovenian in this case).
    So can you please explain the second bullet of the wiki, please (requesting to become a language manager / translator) and third bullet (communication @transifex).
    Edit: NVM, seems transifex did all that for me or something. I now seem to be the sl coordinator and am happily translating away :)
    Edit 2: Please take care when creating new translation strings. A nice example is the "configuration" section where multiple strings are actually the same. This is not the only such section though. Also there may be some synergy in sharing translation strings among modules. An example would be SlimTv4HomeProvider and SlimTVMPExtendedProvider.

Last edited:

Henning D

Portal Member
    August 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is there a possibility to discuss a single translation, or to give some explanation why choosing this translation? Can I provide some explaining text within the suggestion? (E.g. "Skin" seems to be more suitable, since "Oberfläche" sounds strange in some circumstances ("Wählen Sie eine Oberfläche"))
    Can I comment suggestions?

BTW: I did not understand the language dependent discuss section:
    In "Team MediaPortal / German de / Discussions" I can start a new discussion (https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/MediaPortal/language/de/discussions/), but actually the discussions are located within "MediaPortal 2 / German de / Discussions" (https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/MP2/language/de/discussions/), where I didn't see any user control or option to create a new discussion.
    The overview is missing... (How can I list all projects in the Hub, it is very tricky to find MP2 / German / Discussions?)

Greetings,
    Henning

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, sorry, but I must be a freakin' idiot. I log in to the translator page, but I don't see any "request to be a translator" button. I have clicked on pretty much everything on that page. The farthest I ever managed to get was to request a translation because I hoped that would allow me to create the translation (slovenian in this case).
    So can you please explain the second bullet of the wiki, please (requesting to become a language manager / translator) and third bullet (communication @transifex).
    Edit: NVM, seems transifex did all that for me or something. I now seem to be the sl coordinator and am happily translating away :)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I made a few changes in wiki, hopefully this will help new translators in future.

Edit 2: Please take care when creating new translation strings. A nice example is the "configuration" section where multiple strings are actually the same. This is not the only such section though. Also there may be some synergy in sharing translation strings among modules. An example would be SlimTv4HomeProvider and SlimTVMPExtendedProvider.
    We don't have any rules, yet, in which cases strings have to be reused and when we need to create a new one. This one topic, which has to be discussed internally with the devs. Thanks for the reminder.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    BTW: I did not understand the language dependent discuss section:
    In "Team MediaPortal / German de / Discussions" I can start a new discussion (https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/MediaPortal/language/de/discussions/), but actually the discussions are located within "MediaPortal 2 / German de / Discussions" (https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/MP2/language/de/discussions/), where I didn't see any user control or option to create a new discussion.
    The overview is missing... (How can I list all projects in the Hub, it is very tricky to find MP2 / German / Discussions?)
    Thanks for pointing this out. It is indeed an issue.
    I've created a ticket at transifex tracker for it: https://github.com/transifex/transifex/issues/105
    Transifex itself is under heavy development and there will be many improvements next months.

Is there a possibility to discuss a single translation, or to give some explanation why choosing this translation? Can I provide some explaining text within the suggestion? (E.g. "Skin" seems to be more suitable, since "Oberfläche" sounds strange in some circumstances ("Wählen Sie eine Oberfläche"))
    Can I comment suggestions?
    General discussions can be done within the discussion pages (forums), which we were talking about above.
    New suggestions or voting for translations can be done right within the translation process. Take a look at the screenshots, which I attached.
    suggestions1.pngsuggestions2.pngsuggestions3.png

Commenting suggestions seems is not possible atm. But discussions can be used for it.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We added some extended information to the project pages at Transifex: links to homepage, bug tracker and translation instructions.
    So if anyone would like to contribute some explanation how to do some thing or simply extend the current instructions within our wiki, you are more than welcome to do it ;)

Cheers,
    Tommy

Henning D

Portal Member
    August 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, thanks for your detailed reply!
    Transifex indeed looks like a very new software... Interesting enough for a translation software, there are several exotic languages but German is still missing...

I know how suggestions work (and I made already a few suggestions), but leaving comments for these suggestions is a missing feature.
    It would be great if I could explain my vote or suggestion.

Till this feature is implemented, can I write the explaining text directly into the suggestion?

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Thanks for the suggestions. I made a few changes in wiki, hopefully this will help new translators in future.
    Thanks. This is much better :D

We don't have any rules, yet, in which cases strings have to be reused and when we need to create a new one. This one topic, which has to be discussed internally with the devs. Thanks for the reminder.
    You may want to pay some attention to this. It totally ruined my translation experience for grooveshark application and after 50% translated strings I already had to translate lots of duplicates here too. Sometimes they are even listed right one after another 3 or 4 copies at a time.

Edit: finished translation. Slovenian as the 8th MP2 language :)

Last edited:

lebovitz

Portal Member
    January 28, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi guys,

We've started a translation group of Hebrew language. We're currently a group of 3 (formed in 1 day) and completed ~32% of the translation already.
    I have several issues as a representative of the RTL languages

1. In Transifex when we enter the translation and we need to add the '{0}' things (and other special characters), it looks OK when we enter them. However when I want to see the translations it doesn't look good (i.e. '}0{' ). How do I know if it is written correctly and if it will serve it's purpose?

2. In MP1 there were some RTL issues (i.e. every ticker moved from right to left as should be with LTR languages. However this didn't work well for RTL languages. How can I know/help this thing is solved in MP2? Same for RTL justification etc'

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi guys,

We've started a translation group of Hebrew language. We're currently a group of 3 (formed in 1 day) and completed ~32% of the translation already.
    I have several issues as a representative of the RTL languages

1. In Transifex when we enter the translation and we need to add the '{0}' things (and other special characters), it looks OK when we enter them. However when I want to see the translations it doesn't look good (i.e. '}0{' ). How do I know if it is written correctly and if it will serve it's purpose?

2. In MP1 there were some RTL issues (i.e. every ticker moved from right to left as should be with LTR languages. However this didn't work well for RTL languages. How can I know/help this thing is solved in MP2? Same for RTL justification etc'
    Thanks for informing us about your RTL thoughts and issues. We will investigate it and give feedback as soon as possible.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Regarding your point one, I created an issue at Transifex, you can watch the issues if you have a github account.
    Did you meant that one?

I also added another issue regarding RTL-language support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom