what container format is a .TS file? (1 Viewer)

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    This is probably a stupid question but I need some information about the .TS files MP uses to record TV. Can anyone help?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TransportStream file is like a mkv, its only a container for various video\audio formats.

How deep do you want to go into this :)

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Thanks Ray... you are always a great source of information !

Well right now the issue is conversion to dvd using dvdflick.

Interestingly, it opened the file fine and then got about halfway through the conversion before it choked.

I wanted firstly to check that the container is compatable with the software, but Im also curious to know a bit more about what they are and a bit about them.

Any information you'd care to share would be of interest :)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Well right now the issue is conversion to dvd using dvdflick.

Interestingly, it opened the file fine and then got about halfway through the conversion before it choked.

There are probably errors in the file (due to reception glitches etc) - try running the file through another tool to fix the errors first e.g VideoRedo, PVAStrumento, Womble, ProjectX etc

Tony

(If you want the techie stuff.....MPEG transport stream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    thanks tony. very helpful.

Will have a look at pvastrumento and projectx as they appear to be free. do you run the apps separately (~ts fixer and dvdflick) or use a batch file ?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Personally I use VideoRedo and Womble so it's an all-in-one process anyway - you'd have to check if it's possible to use the other tools via a command line/batch file.

Tony

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

I have this forum running:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-talk-45/burning-recorded-tv-dvd-46126/

I'm also trying to find a good software package to take recordings in "ts" format to DVD. Also got an error in DVDFlick when loading, but carried on and got a video file without sound. The video was not quite as good as the ts file either. My original recordings are braodcast in 1080i (interlaced)

I also tried changing the recording format to MPEG, but a file without anything in it was created.

Keen to know where you are at with this including the sucessful software.

Cheers

Graham

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I convert all my recordings to Xvid using AviDemux. It opens the TS files just fine, handles multiple audio tracks and does not need any codec to encode the files (so it won't mess you existing codecs). It can output to a variety of formats, not only AVI. Maybe this program can help.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

Many thanks for the note - appreciated.

I will try this one as well and let you know how I go.

Cheers

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread