0.2.2.0 generates 13,000 thumbnails!!! (1 Viewer)

Thorsten

Portal Member
October 12, 2006
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Yesterday I installed a clean 2.2.0 + svn and it doesn't even generate thumbs für recorded shows. :-(

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    it seems that MP's try to generate icons for recorded shows never ends and keeps memory allocated effectively producing memory leak… about 15MB for every entry in recorded TV shows…

dshowhelper.dll now has a timeout of 15 seconds for creating those thumbs - nevertheless something with graph building must be wrong on your PC or you have an invalid recording - otherwise it would work.

the memory leak was reported by someone else, too - he sees MP consuming more memory everytime a graph is build. Please also check if this occurs for you when e.g. a recording starts.

jdivic

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2005
    Croatia
    That was me at different thread... :) It was wrong assumption…

Problem is in generating thumbs for recorded tv show… maybe something is wrong (since everything else on my conf. works well) with graph building or rendering but… actually even if that works perfectly I still wouldn’t like that feature… so… is it possible to disable it? I couldn’t find option… and how I know it is thumb generation related problem? well… if I fake thumbs everything works well… MP sees thumbs and doesn't try to create them… no memory leak, no problem… If I remove thumbs, MP tries to create them, they never occur in thumb dir and memory usage rises…

thanks for help…

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    OK I see your logic now.

Ideally though I think it would be more useful if folder thumbs were named using full folder name (dot for slash, which must be quicker then crc hashing) as then you can look at them in thumbs folder and easily delete old ones or easily see errors that may need fixing in your tagging or picture settings by checking name against image. With CRC you cannot tell what number corresponds to what file so don't know what's old/new/good/bad etc.

And if album ones were album-artist not artist-album given that they are thumbs for albums not artists as then they would be sorted in folder in album order, again making it easy to analyse what has been generated.

OK fair enough if you need to maintain backward compatability, though I thought the thumbs were a cache to aid speed and were auto generated by MP when scanning so could be easily re-created by a rescan. I still find it a bit unnerving to have an extra 10,000 duplicate thumbs generated, even if they do take up minimal space. I can see duplicates being a possibility with no guaranteed unique ident for the album thumb names when based on artist and album + being harder to locate for deletion if records are removed etc, but It's all no big deal really in the scheme of things.

I will have to retag all loose files, not part of complete albumsclearing the album tag that may clean things up a bit.

cheers for your time

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And if album ones were album-artist not artist-album given that they are thumbs for albums not artists as then they would be sorted in folder in album order, again making it easy to analyse what has been generated.

Well, I totally disagree.

Maybe you're one of those people who do not own discs anymore but ususally people connect their albums to the specific artist.

I prefer seeing all album thumbs e.g. of: AC/DC, then Bon Jovi, then Coldplay, etc..

In fact I do not even use MP's album view very often since I cannot sort it by artist :oops:

Little hint:
    If you have "chaotic" folders like download dirs, mixed samplers, etc it's best to put them into another "share"

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    In fact I do not even use MP's album view very often since I cannot sort it by artist :oops:
    [off topic]
    Yes, I miss this feature too. However I use album-view for artist by creating a view:

1. Artist [album-view]
    2. Album [album-view]
    3. Name [list-view]

[/off topic]

Wish the album-view could be used in (My) Movies (and pictures) ass well, as I prefer to brows only using up/down (not left/right like you need with thumbs etc.).

Is there any chance this can be done?

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    Little hint:
    If you have "chaotic" folders like download dirs, mixed samplers, etc it's best to put them into another "share"
    That's a very good idea, which I will follow.

However MyMusic will add ALL files within a subfolder to the database that aren't already present in the db as soon as you play one of them. That means that download folders or other temporary folders get unneccessarily added to the database if you visit them, filling it up. This occurs in 'Shares' view (obviously) that I anticipated would act merely as a fast simple file explorer bypassing the database using whatever names it found on the disk. As these get added to the db (possibly wth unchecked incorrect, incorrect tag info), so the album table fills up with album entries that may only have one or a few of the tracks so the album view becomes untrue and cluttered.

My current workaround is to temporarily move unrequired folders out while doing a full music scan and backup this requested music scan. Then before running mp run a batch file to overrwrite the current music db with my original scanned backup, to undo all the unrequested additions mp may have added the last time it was run.

I have tried various options such as disable 'load id3 tags from file' to prevent MP from auto-adding to the db but have been unable to stop it. Admittedly this auto-add doesn't seem to auto-gen thumbs for newly added items, good for me, but it gets a bit inconsistent.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yeah - although we're starting a new topic here you're absolutely right. MP shouldn't add anything if that option is not set. I can't promise an ETA but will look into this.

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    BTW I just went to install latest svn, set backup on and it backs up the thumbs folder which meant 10 mins later backup was still going on. I had to quit/wipe the folder and retry. Dunno if that folder is needed in backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom