0.2 first impressions (1 Viewer)

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Marcusb said:
Some of the bigger releases have a special type of copy protection that causes this issue. It's a way to prevent disks playing on multizone systems when the disk is region coded.

What they do is code the menu screen for the DVD to be the number of the current zone. For example, a disk coded for region 4 (Australia) will have the menu at 4. When the DVD player looks for the menu, the disc says "Go to the number of your current region". If the player is zone free then it won't find the menu. If the player is coded for region 4 then it will find the menu. Disney was also pretty big on this type of "protection".
This is why most multizone players allow you to manually set the zone if needed. I don't know why, but this protection never caught on to the majority of DVD's. I guess the licence costs are high.
You're a bit wrong here. Regional protection is set globally for the DVD, it's not about putting menus for different regions on the disk. :wink:
Regional protection does not affect MP in either way, it may only be your drive that is locked to a certain region.
Also there's no licensing cost, as it's just a feature in the DVD specs. Only Macrovision and CSS protection fall into this category. Macrovision fee is paid by the authoring studio when they buy a authoring system and by you when you buy a DVD player. CSS fee is paid by the manufacturer to the stamping facility and they pay the fee to the CSS licensors.

Not that it helps in this thread, but I couldn't let these statements stay uncommented. :wink:

In case you're interested in this topic, you can find some very basic (but simple) information here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_region
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrovision

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
I want to add one point to the DVD discussion:

Before I found the Nero Codec (which works) I tried a lot of other codecs that caused the above described problems. My solution to that was to use VLC as external player.

VLC plays ALL (!) DVD's without any problem. So it's not a copy protection problem but an MP/Codec problem.

(I must find out which Codec VLC uses :roll: ...)

Okay, maybe s.b. knows that: Using the Nero Codec in MP, DVD's start on very low volume. I make it loud then and when going back to TV my ears are blown away ... how to setup Nero DVD Codec's "base volume"?

thanks+regards
WeWe

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    wewe said:
    VLC plays ALL (!) DVD's without any problem. So it's not a copy protection problem but an MP/Codec problem.
    Maybe VLC has something like DVD43 already built in, so it avoids any copy-protection issues?

wewe said:
    Using the Nero Codec in MP, DVD's start on very low volume. I make it loud then and when going back to TV my ears are blown away ...
    Yes, I notice that too - but I put it down to the DVD having Dolby Digital 5.1 audio (which apparently is recorded at a lower level) whereas the TV has MPEG2 stereo sound. I also notice that when I watch a DVB HD channel that is broadcasting AC3 sound, that the volume is noticably lower, too!

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, I notice that too - but I put it down to the DVD having Dolby Digital 5.1 audio (which apparently is recorded at a lower level) whereas the TV has MPEG2 stereo sound. I also notice that when I watch a DVB HD channel that is broadcasting AC3 sound, that the volume is noticably lower, too!

any solution to that?

And why is that only with the Nero Codec (and not with other codecs that used to work in earlier RC's)?

thanks+regards
    WeWe

Sentinel

Portal Pro
    February 20, 2006
    Hungary
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    re wewe

Here is one solution to hear audio in 5.1 and good picture quality 8using purevideo)

set in configuraton/televison

Video codec:NVIDIA Video Decoder
    Audio codec: AC3Filter (necessary to install AC3Filter and set output to 5.1)

another one important thing:

after MP start you must set in Settings/ Television/ Audio renderer to default directsound device. This setting used in Radio, Video and in MyTV, but not everybody know this. Without this setting come the no sound or freeze effect.

after this settings you can use purevideo and hear the audio in 5.1

we need rain in Hungary:)

peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom