1.0.0.0 Not a finished product yet (1 Viewer)

cryoplasm

Portal Member
December 30, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This release is not a finished product yet. The TV-Server/Client feature still has major problems. Plus there are a few other odds and ends which make MP rough around the edges. MP 1.0 has already crashed once.

1. TV-Server/Client issues

Resuming from Standby or unplugging the USB TV card and re-plugging it back in results in the following Windows system messages. "This Device can perform faster if you plug it into a Hi-Speed port/hub.."

I then have to go to Services, stop the TV-Service. Then go to Device Manager, disable the USB hub and then re-enable it back again. Then restart TV-Service.

2. VMR9 issues

Minimising to tray, then Restoring the MP window results in blank screen. The system also becomes unresponsive during this time, having to reboot.

This problem is not present with the EVR.

3. Speed/Efficiency

Whilst it is clear what all MP can do, I find it is also quite slow. The performance needs serious tuning.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Welcome to the MediaPortal forums, cryoplasm,

cryoplasm said:
    This release is not a finished product yet.
    I don't recall that anyone has claimed that MediaPortal is a "finished product" ... :confused:

cryoplasm said:
    The TV-Server/Client feature still has major problems.
    Could you be more specific - exactly what are these "major problems"?

cryoplasm said:
    MP 1.0 has already crashed once.
    And it is possible that "crash" was caused by your TV card drivers, or the video card drivers - you can't assume that it was MediaPortal that caused the crash?
    If this crash occurs again, attach your MP log files here and we will see if we can find the cause ... :)

cryoplasm said:
    Resuming from Standby or unplugging the USB TV card and re-plugging it back in results in the following Windows system messages. "This Device can perform faster if you plug it into a Hi-Speed port/hub..".
    That is an issue with your hardware and Windows and is nothing to do with MediaPortal .... ;)

cryoplasm said:
    Minimising to tray, then Restoring the MP window results in blank screen. The system also becomes unresponsive during this time, having to reboot..
    If you do this while MP is playing a video or TV, then that is a known issue with Microsoft's VMR9 ....

cryoplasm said:
    Whilst it is clear what all MP can do, I find it is also quite slow.
    Again, could you be more specific - what areas do you consider to be slow? What is your hardware configuration?

cryoplasm said:
    The performance needs serious tuning.
    What "tuning" do you have in mind?

tamvegas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I would also ask what plugins are installed and what skins is Cryo using. The only issues I've had (after finally making sure to do a very clean install) are with pugins and skins. There are very few yet fully checked with MP 1.0.
    I would stick with Streamed MP as a skin, or the Blue babies. others have issues. And plugins, XMSharp, MyTrailers and others have issues too.
    That is not MPs fault.
    But MP 1.0 seems very solid. S3 standby and resume, dependable.
    Had an issue that is due to AVG running a scan and trying to have PowerScheduler allow it from standby, but caused problems.
    :D

Kaoh

Portal Pro
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    MP 1.0 is far better then many 2.0 "finished" products out there.
    Sure it is not 100% problem free nor does it contain all features everyone wants, but again: show me a 1.0 that was.

This version is good, and more updates will be coming (see roadmap). 1.0 status means that the product will not have anymore drastic changes from now on. But bug fixes will still continue.

cryoplasm

Portal Member
    December 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi all, been a lurker for quite a while. Have been using MP since at least 0.2.3.0.

The setup I have at the moment is fairly streamlined. Not running any plugins or skins other than what the stock package puts out. Only use MP with TV.

Can MP be run without a skin?

Regarding speed, I particularly find start-up slow. But general all-round speed increase would also be welcomed and beneficial. Same for MP Configuration. Hence the statement on tuning.

The biggest problem however has to do with the TV Client Server, ever since the feature was introduced after 0.2.3.0. The TV card is a USB2 one running with BDA drivers -- nothing proprietary. The USB hub is by Intel built into the computer (Intel based board) being run by stock Vista drivers, so again nothing proprietary there, all stock.
    Sending the computer into Standby/Suspend or unplugging the TV card causes havoc. Short of rebooting the computer, I have to go through the steps outlined above.

Finally, the VMR9 problem is a new one in 1.0.0.0 as it was not present in RC4. If TV or media is playing in a window, it will switch off upon Alt+Enter, ok fine. But in this case there is no media playing and if I try to Restore MP from the Windows Tray, the screen turns blank and the system becomes unresponsive. If I switch to EVR the problem disappears.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi cryoplasm

I take it you are aware that most USB tuners have an issue with Standby (see https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-126/pci-vs-usb-what-choose-30516/ as one of the many threads discussing this).

I believe the problem is that the TV Service restarts before the USB drivers reinitialise which means that the TV Service does not see the tuners. If you are using the Power Scheduler Plugin to put the PC into Standby on the Advanced tab there is an option to "Reinitialize service on wakeup (also reinitializes tuner) which I believe was added due to the issues with USB.

I hope this helps

Mew

poppabk

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I believe that there is also an option to delay the start of TV service so as to allow for cards to reinitialize as well as an option to force cards and TV service to reinitialize.

cryoplasm

Portal Member
    December 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Err.. has someone hijacked the thread?

Yes I believe the Power Scheduler plugin in TV-Server has solved the USB sleep problem. Thanks poppabk, Mew! The feature should be made mainstream instead of a bit on the side..
    Now if I want to unplug the TV card and have any hope of using it again after plugging it back in, I have to manually switch the TV Service off prior to the unplug. If not, the TV Service fails to respond to Windows and a system reboot becomes necessary.

OneOfOne

Portal Member
    December 27, 2008
    this program is NOT finished. 1.0 implies that it is. I have installed on a fresh install of vista ultimate and its crashed 3 times already. dvd img playing doesnt work right because there is no mouse control or any way to back out of a playing movie. the weather images dont load using proper urls either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom