[confirm] 1.1 RC2: Slow TV channel shifting - no virusscanner installed! (1 Viewer)

nigo

Portal Member
April 11, 2010
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC2 (1.0.6.25546)
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide
Windows Version: Windows 7, Home Premium
CPU Type: Intel Atom 333/1.6GHz dual core
HDD: 320GB
Memory: 2GB DDR2 800MHz
Motherboard: Don't know. It's the Asrock ION 330HT
Video Card: DDR2 800MHz
Video Card Driver: ION 195.62
Sound Card: Build in Realtek
1. TV Card: Terratec T5
1. TV Card Type: USB-stick Dual Tuner, DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 3.12
TV MPEG2 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
TV MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder
TV h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC- MPEG2 Video Decoder (Gabest)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA Decoder filter
h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
Remote: Harmony H688/Original Asrock Remote
TV: Sony KDL-40W4000
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hope I got everything right. Basicly its the Asrock ION 330HT with Terratec T5 running up-to-date Win7 Home Premium. Fresh 48h old install :)

My problem is that switching tv-channels takes anywhere between 10 seconds and infinity (after ~60 seconds MP quit trying to use timeshift). Mostly it will succeed to switch channel within one minute, but thats pretty unacceptable to wait more than 10 seconds.

It seems like its more difficult to switch between channels using different compressions, like going from an MPEG2 to MPEG4 and back. Likewise switching between HD and SD channels is also difficult.

Many threads suggested to dissable virus scanner. I was using microsofts security center thing. First I tried to exclude folders used for recordings and timeshift and the mediaportal programfolders, but no improvement. Uninstalling the virus scanner completely didn't help either, so I guess that's not the problem :-(

Another thing I noticed is that there's a windows "shield" on the configuration icons for mediaportal and tv-server and everytime I launch them I'm asked if I will allow these to make changes to the computer... like windows is watching these carefully. Could this cause them to be slow? How can I allow all Mediaportal programs to do whatever they want? I'm pretty new to all the security of Win7.

A bit of topic: I'm not sure I'm using the best codecs. Haven't installed any codec packs yet and would like to only install the right ones. DVD is working fine, I'm not using any music things yet. Would like to use mediaportal for tv-recording (DVB-T in Denmark), ripping my DVD's to HD so I can watch them from that and surfing Youtube. Don't know which codecs would be best for that. I've read here that getting danish DVB-T channels to work smoothly is a bit of a hazzle. Any danes with a working setup with suggestions for codecs? This was hell in WinXP, but playback of tv-channels are more smooth with Win7.

Finally - thanks to all devs for making this project. It wonderful with an alternative to WinMC :)

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    looking at your logs, I immediatly spotted a issue (not related with your bug report):

2010-04-25 12:18:55.914062 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: MCE: Error in XML file C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\eHome Infrared Transceiver List XP.xml

I also see a lot of errors related to TV Server:

2010-04-24 02:13:21.804687 [(20)]: Exception :confused:ystem.Exception: Error initializing streaming server
    [...]
    2010-04-24 02:13:26.117187 [(20)]: _filterMpeg2DemuxTif==null
    2010-04-24 02:13:26.257812 [(20)]: dvb: could not get IBDA_Topology since no tuner device
    [...]
    2010-04-24 02:41:17.845703 [(26)]: Exception :TvLibrary.TvException: Unable to start graph

Simone

nigo

Portal Member
    April 11, 2010
    Thanks. The remote error is probably because I manually added the asrock remote to the file. That is working.

What can I do about the remaing and could thet be causing the channel switching issue? I don't know much about this.

I installed the latest SAF 5 codec pack, so I can choose other codecs as well now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom