1.3.0 High CPU/SDRAM load causing massive stuttering live HD TV (1 Viewer)

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

I had some serious stuttering problems on the latest 1.2.x version, then I read about Smooth video playbackon the release notes of 1.3.o Alpha release, by using Mediaportal Audio renderer.. So I have installed 1.3.0, but that I did not get to work properly as well.

I just cant find the right combination to have stutter free and smooth playback of live TV. I am a bit out of options now .. and it is not a little, TV completely stops now and then, audioo gets 10 seconds before the frame it belongs to.. its simply not watchable.

What I have done so far..

Changed codecs, between Powerdvd11, Coreavc, Microsoft, ffdshow and the default ones supplied with MP
    Changed audio renderer from Mediaportal to the default one (on board realtec)
    Changed audio codecs between ffdshow, LAV, Powerdvd, microsoft
    Uninstalled MP completely, including registry cleanup, Complete reinstalled MP 1.3.0 from scratch
    deleted the database and did a complete rescan of the TV (and radio) channels.. signal strength and quality is 100% on all channels

But none seem to resolve the issue.

I have attached a log with for live TV, PowerDVD11 video codecs, and LAV Audio codecs
    PowerDVD is set to SW (Software decoding I suppose, in stead of Hardware decoding)
    LAV pass through options for AC3 and DTS turned off, because Mediaportal renderer is used to sync the audio with the video.

When start watching TV, all is well for 10-15 minutes, but then the stuttering starts, and goes from bad to worse. from that point on I can not get it right anymore, only a restart of the computer works. Shut down MP and restarting works only for a minute or so.

When checking CPU load at such point I see that Mediaporta.exe uses about 700.000Mb SDRAM and 98% CPU !!

What do I do wrong!? Please help, as I am desperate,

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You have some sort of performance problem - from the TsReader log the video decoding is falling behind the audio after about 10s of playback.

First - don't use MP Audio Renderer until the playback is reasonably smooth using the Default DirectSound audio renderer - it's designed to fix stuttering issues due to mismatched display and video frame rates, but it uses significant CPU and you need to get the video decoding issue sorted out first.

Second - use LAV video decoder for TV and set the 'Hardware Acceleration' to 'DXVA2 (native)' - this should drop the CPU usage on H264 video down to 5 - 20%. If the CPU is still very high then (maybe) DXVA isn't working for some reason, or something else in MP is using lots of CPU - which plugins do you have installed ?

Tony

Attachments

• MP TV config.png
      MP TV config.png
      65.4 KB
    • LAV_video.png
      LAV_video.png
      82.3 KB
    Last edited:

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks much!

Downloaded the last LAV codecs and seems to work fine now with Hardware decoding enabled.. only 15%-20% CPU load , and perfect sync with audio.

In hind sight I think Powerdvd11 never worked with hardware decoding (when setting DXVA in mediaportal config, next time opening Mediaportal config setting back to SW)

But only tried for 20-30 minutes , and not all channels tried yet, will use it the rest of the weekend watching my favourite shows, I hope it is OK now, will let you all know later.

Thanks,
    Lots

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi again,

With the settings Tony provided its OK for most channels, but one or two channels I still experience stutter and out of sync audio.. but only after watching the channel for about 10- 15 minutes, in just a second it goes from perfect smooth and in sync audio, to massive stutter and out of sync audio.. CPU load during this is not exceptional high, the contrary, CPU load is only 10%-15% when this happens. Mediaportal seems not to be able to correct the situation, (waited for about 2-3 minutes to see if it corrected itself.. but at some point the playback completely stalled) I have to close Mediaportal and restart to get it smooth again.. So I wonder what is going on.

Attached bug report is when playing this channel.. first 10-15 minutes all is perfect and then in the end it goes wrong.

Note, this is not with all channels, only a few..the one in the burg report is the worst.

I hope someone can see what is going wrong and knows a cure.. as said before, I have tried allmost everything and out of options.

Many thanks in advance,
    Lots

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom