[1.3.0] No sound or video on client after wake when playing TV (1 Viewer)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The casual observer reading this thread and seeing that comment might think MP or TV Server never worked at all! I get that you're frustrated, but that comment feels a little unfair. :)
In this context, it has only failed to work properly since I put the tuner and TV Server on my server. However, without wishing to offend, MediaPortal has never particularly stable for me and it has never played nice with sleep/wake cycles. When I had the TV Server on the HTPC (and thus having to deal with sleep/wake), it was a crapshoot whether it'd still be working upon resume. One of the main reasons I wanted to move my tuners to my server was so that TV Server never had to deal with sleep/wake, so I was pretty annoyed when I found it still wasn't working properly.

Not impressed with channel changing speed though, any way to speed this up?
That's a bit of an impossible question. There is absolutely no way for us to tell where the delays are and what you consider as reasonable/normal from this very bare description.

Could be zap delay.
Could be client/server communication.
Could be tuner tuning speed.
Could be decryption delay.
Could be decoding delay in codecs.
Could be any number of other things.

Guessing is not efficient for us or effective for you. Please give a fuller picture of the problem by providing logs and specifying which channel change you'd like us to examine.

Note: channel changing speed is a very broad topic. Though I don't have any problem discussing it, it would be nice if we could come to some resolution on the original problem. To be clear:
Are you saying that the original problem only occurs when using UNC shares?
Are you focussing on getting RTSP working now, or will you come back to UNC?
Are you finding that the new TsReader is better with respect to either UNC or RTSP?
This is using RTSP, channel changes between two FTA channels is taking 4-8 seconds. The delay looks to be after "OnZapping" in MediaPortal.log and after "flush subtitle" in TsReader.log. The actual tune seems to take under a second on the server. I'll make another thread for that though, if it continues.

Since switching to RTSP I haven't had issues with no video or audio when tuning after a wake event. I have installed the new TsReader.ax this morning and switched back to UNC for now. I will report back on whether the problem returns when I next wake the HTPC up (this evening probably).

EDIT: Didn't even need a sleep/wake cycle to test that. UNC still results in no video or audio with the latest TsReader.ax.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In this context, it has only failed to work properly since I put the tuner and TV Server on my server. However, without wishing to offend, MediaPortal has never particularly stable for me and it has never played nice with sleep/wake cycles. When I had the TV Server on the HTPC (and thus having to deal with sleep/wake), it was a crapshoot whether it'd still be working upon resume. One of the main reasons I wanted to move my tuners to my server was so that TV Server never had to deal with sleep/wake, so I was pretty annoyed when I found it still wasn't working properly.
    In all seriousness, I recommend you try MP 1.4 PR if you want the best chance of getting rid of those issues. That area is one of the prime focuses of MP 1.4.

I'll make another thread for that though, if it continues.
    Okay.

Since switching to RTSP I haven't had issues with no video or audio when tuning after a wake event. I have installed the new TsReader.ax this morning and switched back to UNC for now. I will report back on whether the problem returns when I next wake the HTPC up (this evening probably).

EDIT: Didn't even need a sleep/wake cycle to test that. UNC still results in no video or audio with the latest TsReader.ax.
    So to me it seems clear either the UNC option has issues (which is entirely possible since it is experiemental and not supported) or there are still permissions issues or general access/network issues in your environment.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OK so I'm happy to continue using RTSP since it seems stable but then I need to get this channel changing time down, so I'll make another thread for that. Thanks for the help everyone.

Also, it may be a while before I can upgrade to 1.4.0 since it seems the Custom Data Grabber won't be available until the final version (if at all).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom