[1.3.0] No sound or video on client after wake when playing TV (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So what does that mean?

Sorry - I don't know....

Do you have more than one client ? If so, do the others have the same problem ?

Is the timeshifting on a 'green' drive that needs time to spin up ?

Last edited:

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    All of my server drives (except OS SSD) are green drives so yes, I imagine it does have to spin up. I'm pretty sure that the "wait for timeshift file" time is set to 15 seconds though.

I have two other main clients - my desktop, which is never asleep (on/off only), and my laptop which is always asleep or on. I don't get this problem with either, as far as I remember.

I used to connect using my laptop at work via VPN but since moving the TV Server to my server (rather than having it on the HTPC), I can no longer connect. It just says it's unable to detect host "hda", even though I can access \\hda via File Explorer and ping it fine.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I used to connect using my laptop at work via VPN but since moving the TV Server to my server (rather than having it on the HTPC), I can no longer connect. It just says it's unable to detect host "hda", even though I can access \\hda via File Explorer and ping it fine.
    This sounds like a different issue... but I'll bite. :)
    From the work laptop over the VPN, please report the result of ping hda and ping <IP address of hda>.
    I take it your server is using a static IP address?

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    This sounds like a different issue... but I'll bite. :)
    From the work laptop over the VPN, please report the result of ping hda and ping <IP address of hda>.
    I take it your server is using a static IP address?
    I'll likely make a new topic for this later - I want to focus on one issue at a time, and the HTPC not being able to play TV in the mornings is the biggest! But yes, I can ping both hda and 192.168.1.99 fine and it's a static IP. It's not a huge problem because I can TeamViewer into my server, manually timeshift & record a channel and then just play the TS file in MPC-HC. In fact, this method is far smoother than watching TV in MediaPortal ever was over a VPN.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    One thing at a time is good. :)
    So you've said no problem on the server, and other clients work okay.
    Personally I currently see no problem on the TV Server side. Would have thought if it were disk spin-up that you'd get a splatter of continuity errors but TsWriter appears to be creating timeshift files okay and filling up buffers with data.
    Next step would be firewalls, updated TsReader and RTSP checks to narrow the problem.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Got home, no TV. Switched to RTSP and it worked first time. But, as expected, I get pixelation as if there's a mini drop-out every few minutes (which is the reason I switched to UNC long ago).

I'll install the latest TsReader tonight, switch back to UNC, and see what happens in the morning.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    OK, I just turned my AV receiver off and the TV froze. I stopped and started the TV again but got a blank screen. I restarted MediaPortal, blank screen. I turned the AV receiver back on, blank screen. This is all whilst using RTSP. So what does this mean, it's not related to UNC??

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    OK, I just turned my AV receiver off and the TV froze. I stopped and started the TV again but got a blank screen. I restarted MediaPortal, blank screen. I turned the AV receiver back on, blank screen. This is all whilst using RTSP. So what does this mean, it's not related to UNC??

That all sounds like HDMI display disconnect/reconnect handling problems (that MP 1.4.0 is addressing), so it's probably not related to the other problem.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Haven't changed back to UNC yet because RTSP seems to be working acceptably and it's nice being able to watch TV properly for once. Not impressed with channel changing speed though, any way to speed this up?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...and it's nice being able to watch TV properly for once.
    The casual observer reading this thread and seeing that comment might think MP or TV Server never worked at all! I get that you're frustrated, but that comment feels a little unfair. :)

Not impressed with channel changing speed though, any way to speed this up?
    That's a bit of an impossible question. There is absolutely no way for us to tell where the delays are and what you consider as reasonable/normal from this very bare description.

Could be zap delay.
    Could be client/server communication.
    Could be tuner tuning speed.
    Could be decryption delay.
    Could be decoding delay in codecs.
    Could be any number of other things.

Guessing is not efficient for us or effective for you. Please give a fuller picture of the problem by providing logs and specifying which channel change you'd like us to examine.

Note: channel changing speed is a very broad topic. Though I don't have any problem discussing it, it would be nice if we could come to some resolution on the original problem. To be clear:
    Are you saying that the original problem only occurs when using UNC shares?
    Are you focussing on getting RTSP working now, or will you come back to UNC?
    Are you finding that the new TsReader is better with respect to either UNC or RTSP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom