[confirm] 1.3.0 TV Server LNB Switching Support? (1 Viewer)

FilterX

Portal Pro
June 15, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello,

I recently did a clean install of MP 1.3.0 to see if the 22Khz switching issue has been addressed?.

MM, had kindly provided us with a patch from this thread for the 1.2.xx versions in this thread:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-with-uncommitted-disceq.91185/page-10

Will there be a patch available in 1.3.0 or will it be worked into 1.3 moving forward? Before I downgrade TVServer back to 1.2 and go back to the old patch that was provided before I figured I'd post here to to find out if it will be addressed or not. As Always I'd like to thank the Developers and the Community for their hard work that's put into this project.

Thanks,
FilterX

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi FilterX

I'm sorry but I can't commit to providing a patch for 1.3a right now... however could you please state for the record, exactly what LNBs and switches you have.

mm

FilterX

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi FilterX

I'm sorry but I can't commit to providing a patch for 1.3a right now... however could you please state for the record, exactly what LNBs and switches you have.

mm

No Problem MM, I just wanted to ask before I reverted back to the older version and use the patches you provided for 1.2.

I'm using Legacy LNB's with a Zinwell 6x8 multi-switch that uses 22KHz switching. If you need anything else please let me know. Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm using Legacy LNB's with a Zinwell 6x8 multi-switch that uses 22KHz switching.
    Legacy meaning 11250 MHz local oscillator frequency?
    If so, you don't need the patch. Use "band" types:
    - NA Legacy or NA Custom 1 for standard 11250 MHz LNBs with 22k off
    - NA Custom 2 for standard 11250 MHz LNBs with 22k on

mm

FilterX

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2011
    Home Country
    I'm using Legacy LNB's with a Zinwell 6x8 multi-switch that uses 22KHz switching.
    Legacy meaning 11250 MHz local oscillator frequency?
    If so, you don't need the patch. Use "band" types:
    - NA Legacy or NA Custom 1 for standard 11250 MHz LNBs with 22k off
    - NA Custom 2 for standard 11250 MHz LNBs with 22k on

mm

Hi MM,

Here is my setup. Maybe I have things configured wrong, so please let me know if you see something a miss.

2 Dish Network Legacy LNB's using 11250 MHz going into Zinwell 6x8 Multiswitch. The switch frequency 11700 22KHz OFF is for 119, and 12700 22KHz ON is for 129.

Mediaportal Scanning Setup:

#1 Sat. Diseqc None - Band NA Custom 1 - Sat 119 Echostar
    #2 Sat. Diseqc none - Band NA Custom 2 - Sat 129 - Ciel

Whenever I scan with the above settings, it does not scan the sats correctly. It appears it does not switch automatically when scanning #2. In other words, it will scan the channels on 119 22KHz (11700) OFF correctly. Then after it finishes 119 on LNB1, it will scan the Channels on 129 LNB2, but it does not turn the 22KHz (12700) on so it will not scan those channels correctly.

As a workaround:

If I scan each sat separately, by using the advanced tuning options sat 119 SWITCH(LNBSW)=11700 (22KHz OFF)

#1 Sat. Diseqc None - Band NA Legacy - Sat 119 Echostar

It Scans all of the Channels in correctly.

After the 119 scan, if I perform a new scan for 129 and set the settings to:

#1 Sat. Diseqc none - Band NA Legacy - Sat 129 - Ciel

Then if I Scan the Channels on 129 by using the advanced tuning options sat 129 SWITCH(LNBSW)=12700 (22KHz ON). It will scan all of the channels for the 129 correctly.

This workaround scans both sats correctly and places all of the channels for both sats in the database. However, the problem that occurs is that even though the channels for 119/129 are in the Database/EPG when I goto switch to the channels on 129 I get a "No Signal”. If I switch to a channel that is on 119, that channel works fine.

When I used your patch from the 1.2 build everything switches correctly.

I hope I have explained this clear, if you want me to post logs let me know. I know you're super busy and I have no problem going back to 1.2 and using the patch. I just want to verify that I'm not doing something wrong on my end.

Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Fx

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again FilterX

The switch frequency 11700 22KHz OFF is for 119, and 12700 22KHz ON is for 129.
    That seems back-to-front to me. To explain...
    The 22 kHz tone is turned on when the transponder frequency is higher than the switch frequency.
    The 22 kHz tone is turned off when the transponder frequency is lower than the switch frequency.

So if you want 22k off for the entire 119W satellite then you should use "NA Custom 1" for that one.
    And if you want 22k on for the entire 129W satellite then you should use "NA Custom 2" for that one.

#1 Sat. Diseqc None - Band NA Custom 1 - Sat 119 Echostar
    #2 Sat. Diseqc none - Band NA Custom 2 - Sat 129 - Ciel
    This matches what I have suggested above, but I think you have misunderstood the settings. I think you may need 22k *on* for 119W and 22k *off* for 129W. In other words, swap the band settings and I think you'll be good to go.

If I scan each sat separately, by using the advanced tuning options sat 119 SWITCH(LNBSW)=11700 (22KHz OFF)

#1 Sat. Diseqc None - Band NA Legacy - Sat 119 Echostar

It Scans all of the Channels in correctly.
    So you're scanning there with 22k on...

After the 119 scan, if I perform a new scan for 129 and set the settings to:

#1 Sat. Diseqc none - Band NA Legacy - Sat 129 - Ciel

Then if I Scan the Channels on 129 by using the advanced tuning options sat 129 SWITCH(LNBSW)=12700 (22KHz ON). It will scan all of the channels for the 129 correctly.
    And you're scanning there with 22k off.

This workaround scans both sats correctly and places all of the channels for both sats in the database. However, the problem that occurs is that even though the channels for 119/129 are in the Database/EPG when I goto switch to the channels on 129 I get a "No Signal”. If I switch to a channel that is on 119, that channel works fine.

When I used your patch from the 1.2 build everything switches correctly.
    Correct. That is the issue that the patch is designed to resolve. The LNB overrides are "global" (not stored per channel), so the settings for one set of channels are inevitably lost.

I hope I have explained this clear, if you want me to post logs let me know. I know you're super busy and I have no problem going back to 1.2 and using the patch. I just want to verify that I'm not doing something wrong on my end.
    With all respect, I do think there is a small misunderstanding on your part about how the LNB settings affect the 22k tone. As mentioned above, it is [11700 => 22k on] and [12700 => 22k off].

Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.
    No problem. :)

Warm regards from NZ!
    mm

Last edited:

FilterX

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2011
    Home Country
    Thank you very much MM for all of the info. I greatly appreciate it. Of course you are correct that I have the settings backwards in regards to On/Off for 22K.

I still seem to have the same issue after switching things around to:

#1 Sat. Diseqc None - Band NA Custom 2 - Sat 119 Echostar
    #2 Sat. Diseqc none - Band NA Custom 1 - Sat 129 - Ciel

Enable DVB-S2 checked.
    Nothing in Advanced Tuning Options is checked (Is this correct?).

I only get a full set of channels from the 119 sat. It then scans through 129, but I only pick up about 15 channels from that bird.

Also for my knowledge. Does the Band NA Legacy/NA Custom 1 scan with 22KHz Off? and NA Custom 2 turn 22 KHz On? I haven't found any info explaining what the "custom" choices are and how they work on the Wiki or another thread unless I'm missing something (Which very well could be. ;) ).

Since I will need the Patch for the switching anyways, its not a big deal because I'll revert back to the last patched version, but I just wanted to report what I'm experiencing and to try and get an understanding of how things are handled with this non diseqc switch setup so I can help others who have similar setups. Thank you.

Regards,

FX

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Enable DVB-S2 checked.
    Not sure if that should be checked or not. Certainly the tuner is not DVB-S2 capable, however the turbo-FEC transponders that you're probably interested in may have modulation 8 PSK in the tuning details (which would be indistinguishable from DVB-S2). Leave it checked for safety I guess - it doesn't hurt.

Nothing in Advanced Tuning Options is checked (Is this correct?).
    Yes.

I only get a full set of channels from the 119 sat. It then scans through 129, but I only pick up about 15 channels from that bird.
    So to be clear, you have two rows ticked up the top. 119W is "NA Custom 2" (22k on) and 129W is "NA Custom 1" (22k off). Yes?

Also for my knowledge. Does the Band NA Legacy/NA Custom 1 scan with 22KHz Off? and NA Custom 2 turn 22 KHz On? I haven't found any info explaining what the "custom" choices are and how they work on the Wiki or another thread unless I'm missing something (Which very well could be. ;) ).
    Yes, NA Legacy/Custom 1 are 22k off, and NA Custom 2 is 22k on.

If you tick advanced tuning options and disable the LNB overrides, then changing the band type in the first satellite row should show you exactly what LNB settings are being used in the LNB override fields (ie. when you select Ku Linear Universal, the LNB override fields will be filled with 9750, 10600, 11700).

To shortcut, you can even check the code here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...faces/Implementations/Channels/DVBSChannel.cs
    Search for "GetDefaultLnbSetup" and you'll see all the settings listed.

Once again, the rule is:
    - if transponder frequency is less than or equal to switch frequency then 22k is off
    - if transponder frequency is greater than switch frequency then 22k is on

I note that some tuners also require the two local oscillator frequencies to be different to force 22k on or off, but that is a driver dependent detail. The rule above still stands.

Since I will need the Patch for the switching anyways...
    You mean because you can't seem to switch from 119W to 129W or vice versa? Please can you tell me *exactly* what settings you are using in the LNB overrides when it does work for you. It is possible that the Genpix driver doesn't turn the 22k on/off unless the LNB LOFs are different. Otherwise it should work.

mm

FilterX

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2011
    Home Country
    Thank you very much for all of the info MM. I had no idea that custom 1/2 settings were for 22K switching.

So to be clear, you have two rows ticked up the top. 119W is "NA Custom 2" (22k on) and 129W is "NA Custom 1" (22k off). Yes?

That is correct.

Today, I've noticed that the signal strength is not stable on quite a few TP's on the LNB using 129. It was fine yesterday. I very well may have a bad LNB, or out of line. Unfortunately, I won't be able to check it out for a week because I'm heading out of town. I'll check it out and get back to you. Thanks for your help as always bud. I appreciate it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Thank you very much for all of the info MM. I had no idea that custom 1/2 settings were for 22K switching.
    No problem - happy to help. :)
    That little trick that I mentioned to show the LNB settings is certainly not obvious to the casual person, so one of the things I intend to do is rename a bunch of those choices to make them more understandable.

Today, I've noticed that the signal strength is not stable on quite a few TP's on the LNB using 129. It was fine yesterday. I very well may have a bad LNB, or out of line. Unfortunately, I won't be able to check it out for a week because I'm heading out of town. I'll check it out and get back to you.
    Okay, no rush. Safe travels... :)

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom