1.6 Upgrade Experience (1 Viewer)

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    After using MP from for 2 years (1.3 Avalon to 1.4 Titan) I noticed the 1.6 upgrade. Particularly of interest was the DB change as I've had an occasional DB crash resulting in a bit of work to fix.

I have a server in the basement and three clients. Since I was in the mood I decided on a general systems upgrade - this took the form of;
    • Upgrade the three clients from individual single seats linked to a server to true clients (no TV server)
    • Upgrade the three clients OS from 32 to 62 bit win7 and from MP 1.4 to MP 1.6
    • Re-configure the storage HDDs on the Server. These were a mess with lots of partitions, inactive areas, different discs as primarys. So I left the SSD that has OS and MP on as Primary. Then formatted all other drives to GPT with just one full size of disc partition
    • Re-scanned both the DVB-S and DVB-T TV cards and adjusted the TV channel list accordingly
    • Provide a dedicated clean 7200rpm 500GB HDD for timeshifting TV
    This work was well worth it. DB crashes seem to be a thing of the past - so far. General UI seems snappier. Best of all I had previously resigned myself to 2 clients not being quite powerful enough to play HD TV channels entirely smoothly, however both clients have reduced stutter on HD TV channels to virtually zero.

I dont know precisely what upgrades resulted in better performance but I recommend to anyone to do the above.

Its not all perfect, for some reason, DVB-S only channels now are missing EPG information (sometimes, very rarely they may show for the current programe). This is causing me to miss recordings. All channels that share an DVB-T input or are DVB-T only have a full EPG. DVB-S was working fine prior to 1.6 upgrade. I have checked the Freesat radio channel that I was sure brought in the EPG and it seems fine.

Can anyone please advise on this issue? (front room client logs attatched)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom