1 Server and 3 Clients (1 Viewer)

Jocker_Boy

Portal Pro
December 9, 2008
Lisbon
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hello,
First thing that i have to say is that i don't understand very well this things: Server/client/NAS/Network Share/RAID.
But my ideia is, when i change home (it will be this year) i install a good system in my new house.
My idea is:

1. 1 PC (Server) that would have capacity for severall HDD's:
- 1 HDD for OS (Windows 7?)
- 2 HDD's of 1TB each in RAID (Where i would save all my documents/images/music - important stuff that i don't want to loose) - I think RAID is the best solution if one drive fails.
- Severall HDD's where i could save all my media (films/series), and if possible one solution if one drive fails. (for now i only have 3TB of media).
- This PC will be used for download torrent and organize media (mkvmerge).
- With MP2, i think that i will have to install MP2 Server in this PC.
- I will not use TV Capacities, it is only for storage the media.

2. 3 PC's (Clients) in several divisions in the house (2 bethdroom and 1 main room)
- I think i will choose the same specs for all the 3 PC's.
- They have to be small and silent (i was thinking in Wesena Cases)
- With MP2, i think i will have to install MP2 Client in each PC.

And with all of this, i think i will need some help.

My questions are:

1. Hardware for PC Server
2. Software for PC Server (OS - Win 7? FreeNAS?MP2 Server?)
3. What kind of RAID for the important stuff
4. For the media stuff, what is the best solution if one drive fails? Also RAID?
5. I will need a good router, right?
6. Ethernet cables, the best is Cat6?
7. Hardware for PC Client's (I like the wesena Cases - Mini ITX7)
8. Software for PC Client's (OS - Win 7? MP2 Client?)
9. If better, it also could be 1 PC Server/Client - Living room and 2 PC Client - bethdroom

I know that there is a lot of question, but i would appreciate some guides to start this project.

gtfreymann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    If you're not going to use TV, on the computer you designate as your "server" you don't need to install Media Portal on it at all. Just set up some shares and you're done.

On the 'clients' you install Media Portal and use your network shares coming off the server computer for your media folders.

For just file serving your file server doesn't have to a hugely powerful machine. Make sure you get fast hard drives.

For the clients, I have used Zotac HD-ND01's and Acer Revo R3610's. Those are now considered "older models" and I'm sure there is something newer available in the same form factor.

I use Windows 7 on my machines. The clients are Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and the server is using Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (because my two hauupage pvr-150 cards won't work with 64-bit and 4G or more of ram).

I have never bothered with RAID myself. If you have the space in your case and a fast RAID card and drives I would say go for it.

Get a good router indeed. One that is meant for gaming would be good. 1 gigabyte ports. I'm using a Linksys E3200.

Cat6 cables? Sure.

There are so many choices out there as far as hardware goes you'll need to make some personal decisions about cost and availability in your area.

Don't forget you'll need to buy a MCE remote for each client. I get mine off eBay.

Good luck and have fun with your adventure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom