1080i looks really bad (1 Viewer)

Laban

Portal Pro
July 1, 2007
Luleå
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I'm having problems with the 1080i format from the Canal Digital Sports HD. It's like half the lines are seriously misaligned. Especially when the there's fast moving objects on the screen.

I've tried with the different de-interlace settings, no change. With and without EVR. With and without HW acceleration (i think they're broadcasting in h.264, though i have to admit that i'm not sure about this, need to look into that). Same problem.

Anyone has the same problem & perhaps a solution ?

/Laban

TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version:
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Vista 32 bit
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint, 200 GB
Memory: 4 Gb DDR2
Motherboard: Asus P5L 1394
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 775
Motherboard Bios: Intel ?
Video Card: Nvidia 8500 GT
Video Card Driver: 158.24
Sound Card: built-in
Sound Card AC3: coaxial out
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: FloppyDTV
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S/S2
1. TV Card Driver: 5.0.0.0
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Thor 0.8°W
HTPC Case: Accent HT400
Cooling: 80 mm FAN (chassi), std CPU cooler
Power Supply: 400W, 120 mm FAN, ?
Remote: MCE
TV: LG PC1 50" 1366*768 Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI -> HDMI

Laban

Portal Pro
July 1, 2007
Luleå
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
75 Hz.

But i noticed one thing, i recorded a short piece and watched it in wmp and cyberlink player. Same problem in wmp but no problem at all using the Cyberlink player.

Might add that i also tried with ffdshow in MP, same problem.

And yes, it's a bit strange that they're using 1080i for sports events. I read a QA session with Canal Digital and they said that they are working on this, they also want 720p.

jburnette

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kentucky
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
If the problem doesn't exist when playing through cyberlink, but in everything else, have you tried connecting to the graph with graphedit to see if you are indeed using the cyberlink codecs when using MP? I had a codec a while back that was forcing itself even though I chose a different one.

Laban

Portal Pro
July 1, 2007
Luleå
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I tried graphedit and it looks ok to me:

ts.video -> Cyberlink H.264 video out -> VMR input
ts.audio -> ac3filter -> DefaultDirectSound Device

Realized that i had set "Hardware de-interlacing" to on in the Cyberlink software. I set that to off and then i got the same problems in the Cyberlink player also. So the problem seems to be that the codec doesn't seem to use the settings you set in the Cyberlink player. And there's no settings for de-interlacing when using HW acceleration in MP.

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    found this topic by accident. you can force the cyberlink codec to use hw deinterlacing. see this post for the registry setting.

i would be interested in your results, because for me the opposite is the case. with my 8500gt on astra HD i sometimes get really badly distorted images with deinterlacing, and better quality without.

Laban

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2007
    Luleå
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hmm, weird. Because the DWORD flag was already set to 1. And i get 25 fps also. Going to try and disable it now and see what happens.

Ok, i disabled deinterlacing, i now get 50 fps and no distorted images anymore. Which seems to be exactly the opposite of what i get in Cyberlink player. Distorted images if i'm not using deinterlacing. But perhaps it's not doing what it's supposed to do when i enable/disable deinterlacing.

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    thanks for the link, gix, but i think laban and i are both using progressive output to the display, and the problem is deinterlacing 1080i --> 1080p/720p, which either the 8500GT cannot handle, or the driver/codec is broken.

D

DMember 49125

Eabin: I have an 8500GT with the latest drivers from nvidia & Vista 32 and works perfectly in interlaced mode (after the installation of the hotfix).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom