1080p playback.. faster cpu or graphics card? (1 Viewer)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Please continue to update us. Interesting thread!

dukeelam

Portal Member
    September 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have the same processor as ChiefBrody, and a PCI 5900 Ultra. I get smooth 720p playback even with extreme bitrates, about 60% cpu util. using CoreAVC on mkv's. 1080p is out of the question with this processor though. Would not let QT bloatspywarebackdoor touch my computer with a 10 foot pole though, :p

pStar

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2005
    hi there
    i'm very interested in this topic too. i currently have a amd athlon64 3200+ with a nvidia 6600. 720p runs fine, although using around 60% cpu. 1080p isn't really watchable, 'cause of framedrops in scenes with much motion....has anyone experience with playback of 1080p on a similar cpu and a nvidia 8600gt running pure video (btw. what's up with purevideo HD?)?
    regards

bigflause

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    all you need to get a Nvidia 8400 onwards. with the new drivers purevideo HD is enabled which allows the gpu to decode all hd content with out the need for purevideo codecs. all you need is the 264x like power dvd.

I have a 8600gt and it works really well in 1080p. I have a e6400 as well so it's not the most powerfully but it does.

ChiefBrody

Portal Member
    August 5, 2007
    Interesting developements... when I was testing I was running the PC here at work on a 1280x1024 LCD, so was forced to output @ 1280x720. Playback of the MKV was a bit dodgy but mostly ok, the QT H264 files were flawless.

However! Setup back at home outputting at 1920x1080 (used both 1080p and 1080i) and cpu usage went through the roof on both, stuttertastic. Lower res to 720p... QT fine, MKV back to mostly fine.

One factor I hadnt considered was that I was using a TEEENY PSU... 250w one I used from my previous SFF case (now using Thermaltake Bach) - I suppose it might be possible that the psu was being overtaxed..

However... I suspect I may have a fix.. tho a somewhat excessive one...

My girlfriends sister is looking for a PC.... So I've decided to donate most of the innards of my current HTPC (P4 Prescott 3ghz, ECS RS400-a motherboard) - build them a decent PC, getting them to cover some of the costs of the following:

Take the Core2Duo E6850 (3ghz) out of my main PC, buy a cheap compatible motherboard with SPDIF onboard (saving me having to continue to use the less than compliant Trust soundcard), buying a decent PSU, and a QuadCore for the main PC :D

Overall result of this is that my otherhalf's sister and hubby get a decent PC ("all we want to do is surf, play music and stuff") mepo gets an uber overhaul (in the process becoming quite the gaming monster too) and my upstairs main PC gets QuadCore goodness (2.4ghz which I plan to overclock to 3ghz and beyond.. muhahahaha)

....all in all its been an expensive week... but then whats the point of having HD without a PC capable of playing it?

..in the future I'd like to look towards a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD solution too.

htpc2007x400.jpg

bigflause

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    i read somewhere, that i need vista to use the purevideoHD feature...is this correct?
    regards

no i'm running xp. the nvidia xp drivers allow purevideoHD.

I got a pioneer BDC-202bk, it's ultra quite and playes bluray disks and DVD's. only €170

HD-DVD and BLURAY combo drives are still way too expensive plus bluray is already the winner.

by the way I have a fix for mkv files stuttering. I downloaded transformers in 1080p (10GB ouch) and it was stuttering all the time. it worked fine in zoom player but not mp. I had to use ffdshow postproccesing to get it to work proper with the power dvd ultra 264x codecs. works amazingly well now. you want to see the faces on people when they see it in 1080p!

haha

pStar

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2005
    nice. thank you for this infos, bigflause. i think i have to pick up a new gfxcard ;)
    regards

bigflause

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I thought if you used FFDshow that lost you hw decoding tho?

I didn't notice to be honest. The power dvd ultra 264x codec uses your Gpu so I suppose if you are using ffdshow on top of that to postproccess it must use your Cpu as well?

I'm not really sure. all I know is it doesn't stutter for me anymore and looks the same as in zoom player.

here is a cool article just posted today

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Silent-HTPC-Blu-ray-HD-DVD-DVB-S2,review-29784.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom