2.0 with music and 5.1 with movies (1 Viewer)

tangmonster

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
cape town
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Hi Guys

I hope someone can help me.

For my audio setup i have a 5 channel amp connected to the analogue outputs on the pc at the back.

I used to always only have a stereo amp connected just to the standard line out.

What i want to achieve is that with mp3's or audio cd's that the music ONLY plays on my front two channels , and when i go to movies that a dvd wil play into all the channels. And that if possible avi's get upmixed to 5.1.

Since i have plugged in all the connecters and set windows to 5.1 and set my sound card outputs to 5.1 i get audio over all the speakers ALL the time.

in movies , with music, media player also does it.

winamp will play music in to two channels if i switch of hardware acceleration in the directx properties.

IS there a simple solution for me?

thanks a lot for you help

Heinrich

sweden

Portal Member
January 20, 2006
check the settings on your sound card. on my card, a sound blaster, i can choose if i always want the sound to come out of all speakers or only for 5.1 material. perhaps you too have that option? also, in mp config make sure you do not have "upscale to 5.1" option selected in music.

tangmonster

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
cape town
Home Country
Thanks for your input.

I am using a lowly onboard ac97 codec and can't see something like that , i have made sure that upscale to 5.1 is not selected.

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I have a Cheap soundcard with Optical-out and a onboard soundcard.

For movies/TV is set MP to use the soundcard with Optical-out (DTS 5.1)
For music I set MP to use the onboard soundcard (set for 2.0)

tangmonster

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
cape town
Home Country
I built my own Diy amplifier and bought the speakers i want for the front and rears (see link in my sig). So i have no digital inputs and so fourth on my amp. The analogue outputs will be my source of everything , that's why everything i want must be set up in software.

The only solution i have now is to use the winamp plugin to play my music ,since that plays correct stereo. I REALLY don't want to do that. Since I loose visualization in music. And i feel that way of solving it is a waste of system recources to solve a simple problem.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I use ffdshow for audio. I have two audio presets. One for mp3 files (2.1) and one of others (5.1). It works like a charm.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    make two ffdshow presets setting and use the "on filename match with wildcards" condition (*.mp3 or *.avi)
    check the automatic preset loading

configure both preset!
    check the mixer filter!
    output speakers configuration (2.1 or 5.1)

tangmonster

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    cape town
    Home Country
    great thanks

not working yet.
    this might be a stupid question:

How do i make sure that ffdshow loads when playing mp3's?

Do i just have to do this in Audio decoder configuration?

thanks again
    Tang

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom