2.4GHz Remote and Wireless keyboard combo

Discussion in 'Input/Output Interfaces' started by eetaylog, January 5, 2016.

1. eetaylog

eetaylog Portal Pro

Electronics technician
    Ratings:
    +44 / 2
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    Can anyone recommend a decent 2.4GHz usb dongle remote that works well with MP? A nice keyboard (with built in mouse trackpad) that runs off the same usb receiver would also be good if anybody has any ideas.

Im trying to minimise the wiring in my new setup, so a single 2.4Ghz receiver would ideally remove the need for keyboard/mouse wiring as well as the usb ir receiver wire.

TIA (y)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +895 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I think that you need to proceed with caution. The only RF remote that I have seen mentioned in these fora is the Emprex, and the user concerned could not get that to work with MP. I suspect that the cause of the problem is that the remote sends keyboard shortcuts for WMC, and various of these are different from the keyboard shortcuts for MP (so those buttons on the remote don't work). :(

There is a remote config file for "Centarea HID" that works with some remotes that send keyboard shortcuts, but it seems to have a side effect of making the keyboard unusable. :( See this thread relating to the Ortek/Hama IR remote:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...neric-hid-how-to-map-buttons-properly.131638/

To be honest, I think that you would be better advised to purchase a WMC-compatible IR remote that uses RC6 signalling protocol, combined with a separate receiver for the keyboard and mouse/trackpad/trackball. But I will be interested to see if anyone has had any positive experiences with RF remotes for MP.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. eetaylog

eetaylog Portal Pro

Electronics technician
    Ratings:
    +44 / 2
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    Good post CS, thanks.

I already have a Windows remote which im perfectly happy with, but i want to minimise the wiring to my client to tidy up the layout a bit and was looking at wireless keyboard/remote, so thought it might make sense to also try and find an RF remote that runs off the same dongle. If its not really possible then thats a good enough answer and ill stick with the current remote.

5. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +895 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    The following post mentions a Microsoft remote and keyboard that use a single receiver; these may be IR rather than RF (I don't know whether that is important to you), and no mention is made of a mouse/trackpad/trackball. Still, it might be a possibility if you want a single-dongle solution:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...2016-01-01-and-mp-1-13-0.133274/#post-1169728

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Stéphane Lenclud Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,265 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Logitech Unify range of product comes to mind since you can run up to 6 input devices from a single low profile Unify USB dongle. However I don't believe they offer a Unify remote.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!