2.4GHz Remote and Wireless keyboard combo (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Can anyone recommend a decent 2.4GHz usb dongle remote that works well with MP? A nice keyboard (with built in mouse trackpad) that runs off the same usb receiver would also be good if anybody has any ideas.

Im trying to minimise the wiring in my new setup, so a single 2.4Ghz receiver would ideally remove the need for keyboard/mouse wiring as well as the usb ir receiver wire.

TIA (y)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can anyone recommend a decent 2.4GHz usb dongle remote that works well with MP?
    I think that you need to proceed with caution. The only RF remote that I have seen mentioned in these fora is the Emprex, and the user concerned could not get that to work with MP. I suspect that the cause of the problem is that the remote sends keyboard shortcuts for WMC, and various of these are different from the keyboard shortcuts for MP (so those buttons on the remote don't work). :(

There is a remote config file for "Centarea HID" that works with some remotes that send keyboard shortcuts, but it seems to have a side effect of making the keyboard unusable. :( See this thread relating to the Ortek/Hama IR remote:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...neric-hid-how-to-map-buttons-properly.131638/

To be honest, I think that you would be better advised to purchase a WMC-compatible IR remote that uses RC6 signalling protocol, combined with a separate receiver for the keyboard and mouse/trackpad/trackball. But I will be interested to see if anyone has had any positive experiences with RF remotes for MP.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Good post CS, thanks.

I already have a Windows remote which im perfectly happy with, but i want to minimise the wiring to my client to tidy up the layout a bit and was looking at wireless keyboard/remote, so thought it might make sense to also try and find an RF remote that runs off the same dongle. If its not really possible then thats a good enough answer and ill stick with the current remote.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    i want to minimise the wiring to my client to tidy up the layout a bit and was looking at wireless keyboard/remote
    The following post mentions a Microsoft remote and keyboard that use a single receiver; these may be IR rather than RF (I don't know whether that is important to you), and no mention is made of a mouse/trackpad/trackball. Still, it might be a possibility if you want a single-dongle solution:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...2016-01-01-and-mp-1-13-0.133274/#post-1169728

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can anyone recommend a decent 2.4GHz usb dongle remote that works well with MP? A nice keyboard (with built in mouse trackpad) that runs off the same usb receiver would also be good if anybody has any ideas.

Im trying to minimise the wiring in my new setup, so a single 2.4Ghz receiver would ideally remove the need for keyboard/mouse wiring as well as the usb ir receiver wire.

TIA (y)
    Logitech Unify range of product comes to mind since you can run up to 6 input devices from a single low profile Unify USB dongle. However I don't believe they offer a Unify remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom