6 Chl Analog Sound - Live TV only stereo - Known dshow bug ? (1 Viewer)

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
Hi folks,

For a long time I've been using stereo out from my Audigy2 card into a dolby pro logic receiver. I took the time recently to remove the receiver and output 6 discrete analog channels to my amp. So now I can get glorious 6 channel (3/2+SW) surround sound from DVDs.

For regular music/tv, I'm using ffdshow - I have it set to auto select a configuration for "Music" or "TV" based on the filters in the graph; music is output as standard 2 channel stereo whereas TV goes via ffdshow's SW dolby decoder to multiple channels. This just works, and is completely transparent which is great. I've disabled the DD and DTS codecs in ffdshow and instead use AC3Filter for this as it seems a touch more stable (I noticed ffdshow's codecs would sometimes drop ac3 stream output if there was change from say 2.1 to 5.1 when moving from DVD menu to main program).

Anyway, I have one remaining problem that is driving me nuts.
When watching live TV I lose sound from all but L and R - I can see ffdshow is loaded and has selected the correct config - I can see looking at the volume filter that it is outputing on all channels. I just don't get to hear it. I can record the program and play it back and all works just fine, with no apparent difference in the graph used! It is related purely to the live.tv stream.

I did some googling and found this; it appears to be exactly this problem:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mi...ffdshow+dolby+decoder&rnum=6#c8b18f7e08d39e03

I tried the nVideo reg patch mentioned in this thread - but it didn't work; it appears to be specific for MCE so I guess no surprise. I had been using the 'dual tuner' patch, so backed this out - and the problem still remains.

Does *everyone* get this? Does *anyone* else get it?
Any known solutions?

Cheers,
BigJ.

thechad

Portal Pro
February 5, 2005
Geelong, Australia
Home Country
I too only get 2 channels in live tv but 6 channel in recorded TV. I haven't had time to compare graphs or really mess around with it. Ill see if I can post a support template when I am home later to help diagnose this.

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
It would be great if you could take a look.
My fear is that it is something intrinsic to the dshow runtime or perhaps media player. In which case we need a patch from MS.
I just can't believe this is a common known problem with no fix!?

BigJ.

Elconejo

Portal Pro
May 9, 2005
Belgium
Nice sound

Hi,

I get full 5.1 sound from tv with or without timeshifting. I don' use ffdshow but select the decoder with AC3/DTS and all in.

I got Audigy 2 card and MP RC3 works just fine. Tell me what settings you want to know and ill look them up for you.

El Conejo

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
I get full 5.1 sound from tv with or without timeshifting. I don' use ffdshow but select the decoder with AC3/DTS and all in.

I got Audigy 2 card and MP RC3 works just fine. Tell me what settings you want to know and ill look them up for you.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure it's not decoder specific - I tried various codecs with similar results. And nvidia offer advice for their own audio decoder to solve this (for MCE at least). I guess it's just system specific in some other way.
Guess I just have to wait for a dedicated XP patch - along with a dual tuner patch dedicated for XP! (I hope this isn't just ignored in favour of Vista).

Katsumoto

Portal Member
March 29, 2006
Siegen | Germany
Same problem

Hi, i have the same problem :( :
TV Audio is stereo, other features work fine. All audio-codecs are set to MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM.

In the MP-configuration there is -> Decoder Filters | MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM. In AC3 and DTS i have "Decode to Speakers: Stereo". If i set anything else, theres no sound.

Configuration:
Hauppauge PVR150 MCE
Realtek ALC655 5.1 on Board
Teufel Conception Magnum

I hope someone can help.

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
Hi Katsumoto - by coincidence I found a work around for this problem just this weekend.

I replaced the default audio renderer with "Reclock" and all is good again; although reclock provides other 'challenges'....

Still, at least it narrows the cultprit to the audio renderer.
So, what other audio renderer options are there for TV (there's no explicit config option, unlike dvd/movies - but perhaps altering the filter priority to use wave instead of dsound would be enough?)

BigJ.

Katsumoto

Portal Member
March 29, 2006
Siegen | Germany
Hi BigJ,

I replaced the default audio renderer with "Reclock" and all is good again; although reclock provides other 'challenges'....

eh... sorry... but what have i to do now? what is reclock?

So, what other audio renderer options are there for TV (there's no explicit config option, unlike dvd/movies - but perhaps altering the filter priority to use wave instead of dsound would be enough?)

in mp-config you can change the audio-codec... item "television"

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Reclock is one of those pieces of software that is best avoided, more so then the all-in-one codec packs. Its used for audio syncing but other users never seem to have an end of problems using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom