720p playback stutters, 1080p seems fine (coreavc) (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    EDIT:
    Ah, ok, so when you set your videocard to 1920x1080x32@50, the 1080p sin sity file and the 720p Riddick file start to drop frames, when your videocard is set to 1280x720x32@50, all is ok.
    Some extra info: Fast scenes with a lot of movement drop far more frames than slow scenes. (do you have that too?)
    Weird...like when the videocard is in 1920x1080 it gets too hard to handle with some files...
    I'd have to check this out...(Looking at my hardware, I'm sure my pc can handle all HD material that is thrown at it with ease so that just can't be it)

Indeed not a single 24p origin file should be played back on 50Hz refresh rate (they will 100% sure have some stuttering). But that is not still the reason for the poor performance on some.

Sorry, didn't have time to read the whole thread, but at least many onboard GPUs (maybe even all) lack the power to do deinterlace on HW. Maybe those broken files are interlaced ones?

But as it seems to be resolution dependent (1080p only) I would assume that GPU is bottleneck here. So, if possible try to get some 8600 / 9500 GPU (or some ATI 3xxx / 4xxx) for testing and check if the issue still happens.

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You're right, no interlaced stuff here.
    It is resolution dependant for Nazgulled (what are your system specs?).
    I'm not sure it is resolution dependant with me, I'll have to check that.
    ...But with a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT and a Intel Core 2 Duo 6750, 2.66Ghz Dual Core in its belly, how can it be a lack of cpu/gpu power???

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Some extra info: Fast scenes with a lot of movement drop far more frames than slow scenes. (do you have that too?)
    Weird...like when the videocard is in 1920x1080 it gets too hard to handle with some files...

Both the Sin City and Riddick samples are very slow scenes...

Sorry, didn't have time to read the whole thread, but at least many onboard GPUs (maybe even all) lack the power to do deinterlace on HW. Maybe those broken files are interlaced ones?

But as it seems to be resolution dependent (1080p only) I would assume that GPU is bottleneck here. So, if possible try to get some 8600 / 9500 GPU (or some ATI 3xxx / 4xxx) for testing and check if the issue still happens.
    How can the problem be on the GPU if I'm not using HW/DXVA to decode the files? If I use the GPU with DXVA they play fine with low CPU usage (only tried this on MPC-HC, not in MP with SAF) but I don't want to use DXVA because of the current issues with subtitles. But CoreAVC is enough to handle all the files with my system specs. All these samples play just fine on different players, the only one that doesn't play them is the internal MP player.

You're right, no interlaced stuff here.
    It is resolution dependant for Nazgulled (what are your system specs?).
    They are on my first post...

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    How can the problem be on the GPU if I'm not using HW/DXVA to decode the files? If I use the GPU with DXVA they play fine with low CPU usage (only tried this on MPC-HC, not in MP with SAF) but I don't want to use DXVA because of the current issues with subtitles. But CoreAVC is enough to handle all the files with my system specs. All these samples play just fine on different players, the only one that doesn't play them is the internal MP player.

Just maybe a remark or correction on your view on the SAF package. It uses dxva IF you play a file without subtitles. If you play a file WITH subtitles, it falls back on the software decoding of MPC-HC. The best part is, you see subtitles in that situation. So it works in all cases.
    There is only one thing you might have to do is merge avi's/mkv's with external subtitles into a single mkv file. But this is not always the case. Could be bothersome if you do have a lot of movies with this.
    So why do you still want to use CoreAVC? Sure, its a little bit more efficient, but it doesnt work for you right now.

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Just maybe a remark or correction on your view on the SAF package. It uses dxva IF you play a file without subtitles. If you play a file WITH subtitles, it falls back on the software decoding of MPC-HC. The best part is, you see subtitles in that situation. So it works in all cases.
    I know that but it doesn't really matter, I was just making a point.

There is only one thing you might have to do is merge avi's/mkv's with external subtitles into a single mkv file. But this is not always the case. Could be bothersome if you do have a lot of movies with this.
    Exactly... I will never see a movie without subtitles, b it in my home tongue or in english but there will always be subtitles. And that merging the external subtitles with the mkvs is bothersome, that's why I don't want to use SAF (or DXVA to be more specific).

So why do you still want to use CoreAVC? Sure, its a little bit more efficient, but it doesnt work for you right now.
    Just answered this in the previous paragraph/quote.

It's not working but it should. There's no apparent reason for it not to work, all other players use CoreAVC and play the files just fine, MP should do the same. The MP process doesn't even waste enough CPU to stutter, so I don't understand this...

I need to use CoreAVC cause it's the only decoder that allows me to play 1080p files without using DXVA. Either the software decoding on MPC-HC or ffdshow are not good enough and the CPU usage is way high, that doesn't happen with CoreAVC, so I need it.

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    I recall to have installed it in the past week but I don't remember if I tested it with MP but I have a feeling it won't make any difference... I'll test this out when I get home though...

I just remembered something I thought the other day... Is it possible that the PSU can have any effect on this? I know that it doesn't quite make sense since it works on other players but not on MP but, could the PSU have any effect on some CPU processing?

I'm asking this because almost all parts of this HTPC are brand new, all but the PSU. I didn't have enough money to get everything I wanted when I first bought the HTPC and so I'm using an old Trust 370W v2.01 PSU. Could the PSU be affecting performance?

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, The PSU can cause a problem if the juice coming out of it is too unstable. For instance under fast changing or high load it is possible that one of the power rails dips a little too low. It can cause unexplained crashes, freezes, reboots, that kind of stuff. Typically you can expect these things in cheap, low quality or too low performance (Watt) PSU's. So in theory it is possible that your psu can affect your performance.

But in reality regarding this issue, I really think that it is very very unlikely that this is the cause. You can test it by running a CPU Burn program and parallel to this run one of the players that don't give you the stuttering. If all is OK in that situation, chances are negligible.

Still I am sorry to say that I don't have a idea about what can cause your problem.

[edit]
    Just thought of it, do you have CoolnQuite or other powersave things on in the bios? If so, you can try disabling it.

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    As far as powersave options in the bios goes, I think I only have available the Cool'n'Quiet thing and it's turned on. I tried to turn it off once, it didn't seem to do anything...

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Just tried the new Haali Media Splitter as disabling AMD's Cool'n'Quiet and they didn't solve anything, but, I think I just found the cause of my problems...

Since I use VSFilter for subtitles and I play other movies besides HD content, the subtitles on non-HD content looked horrible because the video size is very small. This means I had the "double resolution" feature turned, but I had it turned as "double if smaller than" 1280x720. Basically, all 720p had the video resolution being twice as much. I lowered this resolution setting to "720x576" (PAL) and for now it seems to be working to an extent...

The movies that previously were slow, are now normal and the samples I tested and reported in the previous page of this topic, also play just fine. But I still don't understand how this "stuttering" was only visible on same movies/samples and not on all of them...

Also, the Sin City 1080p sample which I reported as faulty is somewhat weird... I played it once with these new vsfilter settings and the framerate started slowing down (which was my problem, not exactly "stuttering"). I stopped playing it and started it again and this time, it played fine... I guess sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

Maybe with time I can see if 1080p movies play fine or not but I normally watch 720p cause my TV is not that big and there's not much of a difference, though it supports 1080p. In the future I'll do some testing between 720p and 1080p versions of the same movie and see if I can notice any difference with my TV.

Any thoughts on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom