780G a good choice for 1080p in MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

DjeC64

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Gent
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I own a 680G card. No problem to get this Hardware acceleration working. I use MPC videodec in directx9 EVR mode.
    With PDVD 7 used to work stable until RC2, lots of HARD crashes with RC2 + Catalyst 8.16 (type: " your hardware has supported an overclock failure" message from the Bios upon reboot. Of course, I do not overclock).
    But MPC works just as good, so I found my solution there.
    I think the catalyst may have a prob unless that was my cyberlink installation.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just an update as i have hardware acceleration working now for both MKV 1080P movies and live HDTV on DVB-T

XP Pro SP2 / Only used the older drivers available on gigabyte.com / MPC-HC (interal filters) for 1080P mkv video files / PDVD8 Ultra 1830 codec for live tv in MP RC2

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    Just an update as i have hardware acceleration working now for both MKV 1080P movies and live HDTV on DVB-T

XP Pro SP2 / Only used the older drivers available on gigabyte.com / MPC-HC (interal filters) for 1080P mkv video files / PDVD8 Ultra 1830 codec for live tv in MP RC2

Older drivers from Gigabyte.com? Which version? Latest ones cannot work?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    XP Pro + GA-MA78GM-S2H + Latest ATI Catalyst 8.7 (from ati.com) = Death ; Not just me, heaps of people with this motherboard and XP have this problem.
    NB: Even tho the catalyst suite is 8.7, the display drivers in the package are 8.51 - you can verify this using the chkvir program in the setup dir for catalyst.

The best drivers for me are Display driver v8.457 on gigabyte.com
    (Older bc they are older than the latest ones on ATI.com)

GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    I agree that the 8.7 driver does not work for this mobo on XP. For myself i use the 8.6 and it works perfectly. I have a HDMI connection to my plasma tv set, and only >=8.6 can detect automatically audio trough HDMI after turning on TV if PC is already on.

Crabstick

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I also tried Cat 8.7 and got BSOD. DON'T INSTALL Catalyst 8.7 to a system with 780G board.

Reverted back to 8.6 and now suddenly I get decent de-interlacing with DVB-T. Finally my TV picture quality from HTPC is close to what the TV internal tuner would display (Samsung 40" M87). Also Blu-Ray movies play back fine with PDVD7, DXVA on, at 24Hz. Before Cat 8.6 the playback at 24p resulted in slight stutter every 10-15 seconds. Now it's smooth.

After all I'd say this is a good board for HTPC, as soon as ATI would fix their drivers. There are still some issues for example when switching display mode to 24p and back to 50p (interlaced video display will brake, reboot will fix).

Settings I use for TV playback: MPV decode filter (decode, no deinterlacing) -> ffdshow (postprocess,resize to 1920x1080, keep interlaced) -> VMR9 (ATI CCC adaptive deinterlacing). Desktop resolution is set to 1080p50.

I still have one problem:
    The picture will freeze if I turn my TV off and back on. Sometimes MP will hang completely, sometimes I can recover by turning off the TV player in Mediaportal (pressing "live TV" from remote I can get back to TV home screen with frozen video preview).

fabien44: Does your picture freeze after turning the TV off and on while watching TV (or other video) in MP?

I saw a bug report that fixed an issue like this but with Vista. I have XP SP3.
    (0001318: MP hang when you switch off monitor if DVI/HDMI connected (ATI related) - MediaPortal Bugtracker)

I someone wants detailed debug info, I can reproduce the error and post the resulting logs.

Crabstick

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    fabien: OK. Weird. Do you have Vista or XP? And what Mediaportal version? And you connect the TV through HDMI? Could this be related to my TV then... What drivers are you using?

-- EDIT

Sorry. I can read that info from your profile. But still, how come your setup won't freeze and mine does??

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My System does also perform nicely with 8.7 and Vista 32bit

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    fabien: OK. Weird. Do you have Vista or XP? And what Mediaportal version? And you connect the TV through HDMI? Could this be related to my TV then... What drivers are you using?

-- EDIT

Sorry. I can read that info from your profile. But still, how come your setup won't freeze and mine does??

I connect to my TV trough HDMI with catalyst 8.6.
    My video setup:
    VRM9 + MPV/MPA with default options.

Did you install DVBFix? (make a search on it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom