780g chipset motherboards (1 Viewer)

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
hi guys,

just found great news: hxxp://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/02/01/amd_s_new_rs780_igp_and_sb700/1

the 780g mainboards are coming and the first one to hit the market appears to be from gigabyte. seems that this is the ultimate mainboard for HTPCs.

I also took a look at the official mainboard manual and it says the following:

The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) provides an all-digital audio/video interface to
transmit the uncompressed audio/video signals and is HDCP compliant. Connect the HDMI audio/
video device to this port. The HDMI Technology can support a maximum resolution of 1920x1080p
but the actual resolutions supported depend on the monitor being used.

• After installing the HDMI device, make sure the default device for sound playback is the HDMI
device. (The item name may differ by operating system. Refer the figures below for details.)
• Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM
formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)

EDIT: I also found the requirements for Blu-ray HD-DVD playback:
Playback of HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs:
In order to get better playback quality, when playing the HD DVD or Blu-ray discs, refer to the
recommended system requirements (or better) below.
• CPU: AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core processor (4200+ or above)
• Memory: Two 1 GB DDR2 800 memory modules with dual channel mode enabled
• BIOS Setup: At least 256 MB of UMA Frame Buffer Size (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup,"
"Advanced BIOS Features," for more information)
• Playback software: CyberLink PowerDVD 7.3 (Note: Please ensure Hardware Acceleration is
enabled )

Unfortunately no True HD audio etc., but finally there is audio and video coming through the hdmi port. Any idea how to realize TrueHD sound?

as i intended to build my htpc this month, and fortunately did not buy the hardware yet (i am waiting for the origen ae s16v black, as there are shortages in Germany), i iwll postpone everything until this mainboard is available. the price tag is already reasonable and will drop further in the coming weeks.

greetz,

Kian

OgdenP

Portal Pro
August 12, 2007
Home Country
Unfortunately no True HD audio etc., but finally there is audio and video coming through the hdmi port.
Not sure what you mean by this. The 690G already provides both audio and video through HDMI (or at least the ASUS board does).

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Any idea how to realize TrueHD sound?

1. Check out this thread, Page 8, Post 75. It looks like the nVidia competritor will have more to offer.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ongoing-htpc-projects-60/htpc-motherboards-hdmi-32424/index8.html

2. Or buy this card:
    Auzen HDMI 1.3 board PICs & Info!!
    This adds full audio support to the HDMI video signal.

3. Or connect your surround system with a separate cable (would it work? I don´t know).

4. Buy a new motherboard in 1 year with full audio support, till then Mediaportal will have BluRay support, the bluray drives will be cheaper, HDMI standard will be standard at last (1.1, 1.2, 1.3.... who knows) etc. It is too early today for TrueHD I guess.

DoctorBob

February 1, 2007
    I have running the 780G (mb from Gigabyte) build with AMD 4850e (45 Watt CPU) and that one is cooled by a Ninja Mini without cooler ;-)
    All stored in a Thermaltake Mozart case where I stripped all Fans (I hate noise :-P) Memory is 1Gb and running Vista.
    Gigabyte is the only one that has Toslink output direct on MB and that is connected to my Logitech Z5500 speakers. Video I play with winDVD and put that one on true PAL without dropping fames and a CPU load of 10..15% :-P So X3200 has hardware decoding that works fine. My projector is connected through the HDMI connector to DVI-D (HDMI connector is smaller so my HTPC can be placed better on his place.
    In NL we have KPN with DVB-T so the only extra card in the HTPC is a Twinhan Mantis 3030 card with CI interface for Conax.

ps. if you install a system on this system, do not turn on the ACHI mode. I had a crash after installing Deamon tool.

looking video now is awsome :) very sharp en clear. and for those that want to know how hot the CPU gets....just 40 degree

Only problem I now have is the TVserver it scans the channels and if I find the same on a other freq. he update the old one. But I do not want that as that block is not working correct from receiver point of view. :-(

Diggler

August 24, 2008
    They recommend a 4200+ X2. I actually recommend an AMD 4850 as a minimum. I have a X2 4600+ in and it's slow in all but WinDVD for HD-DVD playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom