780G Tips and Hints (**Now with MKV acceleration info) (1 Viewer)

lar1r

Portal Member
August 25, 2007
Having great success with my 780G so I wanted to start a thread to help people out who have this great mediaPC board.

CPUs
-------
1) For the lowest power system, use an Athlon 2x50be or 4850e CPU - You can playback 1080 content fine with this. I use this and have a near silent setup (no PSU fan and CPU fan is set very low)
2) For ultimate playback use a Phenom CPU with HT3 of 1.8GHz or higher (this gets you additional video processing like better de-interlacing for 1080i content)

Memory
----------
1) Dual channel ddr2-800. No excuses here - its cheap now. On most boards this means the memory is side by side. Video needs all the bandwidth it can get.
2) Set UMA in the bios to 256MB

Players
---------
Cyberlink v7 (v8 screws up some cool and quiet settings), WinDVD (latest), Nero (latest), Arcsoft (latest).Do not use CoreAVC, as this does not use the h264 hardware acceleration in the 780G.

Alot of people have tonnes of codecs installed. Carefull as some tend to try and take control over a format so even though you may have cyberlink installed, you may not be using it with its proper splitters etc.

Also if you see probs, try disabling cool'n quiet in the bios. Could be that the player is acting up with AMDs power saving feature and lowering the cpu at the that wrong time.

Drivers
---------
Use the latest from game.amd.com
Disable pull-down detection if your 1080i content is stuttering and you have the right hardware setup.

Files
-----
Watch out for bad mkv's. There is an article on avsforums that explains.
x264 Encoding Options for Hardware Compatibility & DXVA - AVS Forum

Commerical decoders look for a certain H264 format - profile 4.1 - which is what BluRay encoders use for commercial content.

***NEW*** March 2009

Getting MKVs to work tips

Use Media Player Classic – Home Cinema edition as your player. It plays Matroska files with H.264 acceleration on 780G.

SourceForge.net: MPC - Homecinema: Files

You can even use its filters to have acceleration of Matroska files in Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center.
Here’s some instructions (you can google it and find it on the web):

Go to SourceForge.net: MPC - Homecinema: Files

Go to Filters 32 or 64 bit depending on O/S

Download to some dir the following files:

mpchc_x86_v1.2.908.0_MatroskaSplitter.zip

mpchc_x86_v1.2.908.0_MatroskaMuxer.zip

mpchc_x86_v1.2.908.0_MPCVideoDec.zip

Unzip the files into some temporary directory of your choice and you should have 3 files with .AX extension:

MatroskaSplitter.ax

MatroskaMuxer.ax

MPCVideoDec.ax

Open a CMD prompt window to the directory containing the files.

For each file, execute the following command:

Regsvr32 xxxxxx.ax
Where xxxxxx is the name of the file.

Make sure to uninstall any other H.264 SW decoder or at least disable the H.264 decoding support in it (you can do this on FFDSHOW).
For example, I had FFDSHOW installed and WMP kept using it instead of the MPC-HC stuff. Once I uninstalled FFDSHOW, everything was fine.

BTW, you can probably do the same thing for .MP4 support if you install the proper Splitter from MPC-HC.

That's it for now. If anyone has any other ideas post away. The 780G should be an excellent media motherboard!

Aquarius

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2004
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    thx for the excellent guide . Came just right in with my decision about choosing a new HTPC- base.
    May I just ask what board you are using. ?

Regards
    Gerd

Johnnie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Drivers
    ---------
    Use the latest from game.amd.com
    Disable pull-down detection if your 1080i content is stuttering and you have the right hardware setup.

Hi,

Where is "pull-down detection" found?

Tia.

Johnnie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've searched for it and found the "checkbox", but I'm not able to uncheck it. It's for somereason locked.

Idea's?

are you using XP or Vista?

I'm using Vista, and found it. But I'm not able to uncheck it. Idea's?

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    New F7 BIOS for GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.0 and 1.1 (not 2.0) was released on 31st December - download here. There have also been some driver and BIOS updates for these boards and most of the other Gigabyte 780G boards- see here.

INSTRUCTIONS: Run the executable to extract the files- you only need ma78gs2h.f7 or whatever the similar file is for your board. Put the file on an empty USB pen drive that is formatted in FAT 16/32. Restart system- press End button - the QFlash BIOS programme will start - locate your USB drive select the file and follow instructions to update BIOS. Don't touch anything or press any buttons while it updates! When it is finished restart system and press Delete to load BIOS- you may have to correct your hard disk boot order. Then load optimised defaults and save and exit.

See also further info at Gigabyte and this warning:

"Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction."

lar1r

Portal Member
    August 25, 2007
    i have several 780G boards.
    The GA-MA78GM-S2H mentioned in the reply below is a popular one.

For those who can not enable/disable pulldown detection, please post your cpu, memory config, and driver version, and I might be able to help.

By chance, what is your automatic de-interlacing setting at?

Johnnie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    i have several 780G boards.
    The GA-MA78GM-S2H mentioned in the reply below is a popular one.

For those who can not enable/disable pulldown detection, please post your cpu, memory config, and driver version, and I might be able to help.

By chance, what is your automatic de-interlacing setting at?

Hi lar1r,

Assuminig right you maybe can help?

Herewith the information:
    CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9150E 1.8GHz boxed
    Mem, ganged mode: 2x 2048Mb Kingston 800Mhz DDR2 Non ECC CL5
    Driver, I suposse from ATI: ATI 8.12

tia/Johnnie

lar1r

Portal Member
    August 25, 2007
    The CPU might be the reason.
    Go into the BIOS and manually set the HT link to 1.8Ghz. Or use AMD OverDrive to adjust the HT3 frequency.

You need a HT of 1.8Ghz to enable those functions on a >1280x1024 resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom