A bug in the Nvidia PureVideo Decoder ? (1 Viewer)

barsk

Portal Member
December 9, 2005
I was playing that back in 60 Hz. Maybe my problem is with PAL film

Ah - maybe you have a point there. Maybe Nvidia only designed and tested this for North America, which is 60Hz NTSC?

Which may also explain why Nvidia never allowed the PureVideo decoder to be sold outside the USA?

I have only tested the PureVideo decoder with 50Hz PAL progressive (film) video, and that is what it fails on .... I don't think that I have access to any 60Hz NTSC progressive video to test it.
If PAL is not supported that would be a great shame. I haven't seen any such info. That need to be investigated further. I have a region 1 DVD at home with NTSC stuff on it. I will test with that and with PAL DVD to see what happens.

Here's the latest from Nvidia:-

It looks like we do have some Purevideo bugs relating to this.

These issues are on the investigation list but we don't have any details on when it may get address. If they determine that it is a decoder bug, likely a fix would get integrated into the future Purevideo release.

At this time, there is no update plan for this decoder. Please feel free to check with us periodically if you wish.
It doesn't sound very encouraging, does it?

Nvidia should be castigated for selling a product that does not work as described, and then showing no interest in fixing those problems ... :mad:

Very discouraging indeed! :(

However CyberLink is also supporting hardware decoding with their PowerDVD product. The say that it is based on purevideo, and as such they should be interested in keeping it bugfree. PowerDVD should be able to handle both NTSC and PAL. Maybe the are on a separate purevideo product that only partners get access to, which they incorporate in their decoders? Nero has something similar.

PureVideo-HD is only available from a third party products, such as PowerDVD et al.

/Barsk

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    However CyberLink is also supporting hardware decoding with their PowerDVD product.

Yes, and I have just been testing the latest version of PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra (using their decoder within MediaPortal) and it handles every type of MPEG2 video that I have been able to find - 576i, 576p, 720p and all the variations of 1080i .... :D

So I will abandon the Nvidia PureVideo Decoder and stick with CyberLink.

coopers

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2005
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Hi Taipan,

What kind of control over hardware accelleration does the Cyberlink codec give you?

At least with purvideo there are a bunch of settings to play with...

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    coopers said:
    What kind of control over hardware accelleration does the Cyberlink codec give you?
    I am not sure what you mean - I leave DxVA enabled, but I don't recall any other settings ....

coopers said:
    At least with purvideo there are a bunch of settings to play with...
    There are? Again, I leave DxVA enabled, and have "de-interlacing" set to "Automatic"....

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I would have thought the cyberlink decoder had some kind of console you can play with settings in...?
    There are a few options and you can change them from within MediaPortal Setup -> DirectShow Filters -> PowerDVD 7. But there is nothing to really "play with" as selecting the defaults is usually the best result anyway ...

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm soooooo glad to hear someone say how good the Cyberlink (PDVD7) codec is BECAUSE the notes/wiki have traditionally indicated how GOOD the NVidia PureVideo decoder is in comparison to the MPV-Decoder. I've been experiencing lost frames with the NVidia whereas the Cyberlink codecs have been rock solid! (I have both the ATi version distributed with my HDTV-Wonder and the PDVD7.)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm soooooo glad to hear someone say how good the Cyberlink (PDVD7) codec is BECAUSE the notes/wiki have traditionally indicated how GOOD the NVidia PureVideo decoder is in comparison to the MPV-Decoder

That was written pre PowerDVD7, Must admit i changed over when i installed Vista and started having problems with the Nvidia codecs straight away.

Would recommend PDVD7 for video to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom