A Call for help from MP community (New movie db) (1 Viewer)

Darrin2101

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Tampa
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
How about a way to utilise the output of DVD Profiler, that would speed things up for a lot of poeople I would imagine. Using the exported data (XML) from that to populate the database.

jay_galway

Portal Pro
January 24, 2007
In terms of covers they must be of medium resolution and only the front or the spine. This is on purpose so people don't directly upload hires covers while giving good enough image for an htpc plugin to use.

I would be interested to know what people think about the copy-write issues of this policy as I don't want to get sued :)

This database can be used over and above imdb, its not meant to be a complete replacement.

I have to say that Hi-res cover arts look great though, I personally use google image search to get my covers. I would upload them for you, but your wanting lower res though right?

zag2me

Portal Pro
April 11, 2006
Home Country
England England
419 pixels wide, and its just for the front covers. So its kinda medium res ;)

Nearly 30,000 entries now, so thanks everyone for helping.

papas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    well lets just hope now that a nice plugin as tvseries will be available for the MyVideos that utilizes your db

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I don't know how this functions, but would it be possible to use this database in conjunction with the "My Films" plugin? Either by importing to the ANT database, or by skipping the ANT and just use this?

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    Great news, I knew someone would find it useful :)

Now that the movdb works with media-portal, can people keep uploading some covers and movie details please.

Also looking for trailer links, movie budgets (can get these from wikipedia), and new movies that are in the cinema.

I have not had time to work on movdb recently, but some improvements are coming, like movie screenshots, actor roles and maybe some multi lingual stuff if there is enough interest.

285,816 Movies in the DB now ;)

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Personally I think this is an excellent idea. Well done.

I think there are ways it could be bettered though.

Currently I am developing (going to start :p) a plugin for Media Portal that grabs movie information from IMDB and high resolution art from another site based on their movie collection on their harddrive.

What I think you should do is get an application to do this, and get people to run it on their home machines. It would output an XML file containing all the movie information and the images to go with it. Get them to zip it up.

What they then do is upload it to your site, which then unzips it, and goes through the xml file and if the movie doesn't already exist in the database it uploads it and copies the image across and then deletes the files which are not needed anymore.

Just a thought :)

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi there,

Personally I think this is an excellent idea. Well done.

I think there are ways it could be bettered though.

Currently I am developing (going to start :p) a plugin for Media Portal that grabs movie information from IMDB and high resolution art from another site based on their movie collection on their harddrive.

What I think you should do is get an application to do this, and get people to run it on their home machines. It would output an XML file containing all the movie information and the images to go with it. Get them to zip it up.

What they then do is upload it to your site, which then unzips it, and goes through the xml file and if the movie doesn't already exist in the database it uploads it and copies the image across and then deletes the files which are not needed anymore.

Just a thought :)

Yes in theory its a very good idea :)

In practice however its not such a good idea :) Over at meedios we did exactly that with a personal "library uploader", it worked great until we realised that not everyone's library is the same :) Some people store actor roles some don't, some put it in the same field as the actors. Everyone names their movies differently ect ect. It becomes a nightmare for the database consistency.

There is already a nice importer that runs by grabbing data from imdb and uploading to movie-xml site but what we really need is people to add cool information like trailer links, worldwide gross ect, and more covers. And sometimes to flesh out the info for the more popular movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom