A couple of questions regarding MP (1 Viewer)

clivegriffiths

Portal Member
November 3, 2005
Okay, I have Windows MCE 2005 and my sister loves it, so much she's asked me to convert her PC into a Media Center one. However, after stumbling upon Media Portal, I have to say I'm seriously considering installing MP instead of MCE 2005 on her system.

However, before I install it on my sister's PC I'd like to try it out myself and get a feel for it and compare it first hand to MCE 2005 ... and this is where I have a couple of questions.
If I download and install MP with it override or do anything to my current Windows Media Center settings?? I understand I can run both MCE 2005 and MP on my PC (but not at the same time obviously), but I don't want to mess my system up (as it all currently works fine). Also if I install and run MP will it automatically work with my MCE 2005 remote? Is it literally install and play?

Danno100

Portal Member
November 3, 2005
Canada
I have Windows MCE 2005 (built it) and Media Portal installed on the same box. It did not change MCE at all. My MCE Remote works fine in MP. My MCE Keyboard works fine in MCE. MP has built-in MCE Remote support.

I also have a Hauppauge PVR-150 installed with a cheap ATI Radeon 9250 graphics card. Although not certified for MCE, the card works OK in both MCE and MP through composite out to a plasma. One day I will hook it up via the built-in DVI.

MCE is nice, but I dislike how it is integrated into XP. MP is better in my opinion since it is more flexible and open. MP is rougher on the TV side, but hopefully 0.2 final release will fix that.

Being in Canada, I still haven't figured out how to use EPG in MP, but I will one day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom