A Hiccup (2 Viewers)

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
October 25, 2015
Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Recently, I upgraded to the most recent version of MP1. Then, a few days ago, it unexpectedly crashed on me. (I'm uploading the WatchDog files.) Then, after I did a hard reset, whatever problem there may have been apparently corrected itself, and the program has been working flawlessly ever since! Go figure! I have no clue as to what caused the problem, but I felt I should send you my WatchDog files for your reference, if nothing else! (By the way, I'm running under the latest updates to Windows 10.)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the log files.
    I'm confused though.
    You said that you recently upgraded to the most recent version of MP1. However, you've provided log files for MP2. :confused:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sweet as. :)

As always, the first port of call when looking for information about the cause of a crash is the Windows application event log. If you check that log you'll see:
    [collapse]
    "6/19/2017 8:38:12 PM";".NET Runtime";"(0)";"Error";"Application: MediaPortal.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 100010BA
    ";"1026"
    "6/19/2017 8:38:13 PM";"Application Error";"Application Crashing Events";"Error";"Faulting application name: MediaPortal.exe, version: 1.16.0.0, time stamp: 0x58f264ea Faulting module name: HsSrv.dll, version: 1.0.12.106, time stamp: 0x4f064d85 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x000010ba Faulting process id: 0x1c1c Faulting application start time: 0x01d2e965ae237cfa Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\HsSrv.dll Report Id: 3ef9da29-5189-4f38-9241-b7c83b0b4b18 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID: ";"1000"[/collapse]

Of particular relevance are:
    1. The exception code - c0000005 - which indicates an access violation exception (ie. MP tried to access invalid memory).
    2. The faulting module - HsSrv.dll - which indicates the source/cause of the crash.
    I'm not familiar with HsSrv.dll, which probably means that it's a 3rd party component. Perhaps related to a plugin, driver or maybe even Windows.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, a quick Google suggests HsSrv.dll is related to the driver for your ASUS Xonar DG audio hardware.

I suggest to ensure you're running the latest version of the driver for that hardware.

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2015
    Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    As it happens, I have had a fair amount of trouble in that respect. AMD's installer keeps saying that I need to install an updated HDMI audio driver, but when I do, it never really seems to "stick," so to speak. Part of the problem may lie in the fact that both my sound card and my graphics card are "legacy" models, and I cannot currently afford to upgrade to newer ones. Also, of course, Windows has insisted on installing several updates recently, which complicates things still further. At this point I can't help wondering if trying an upgrade to the current version of MP2 might help things in some way. What do you think?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think:
    1. AMD's installer asking for you to install an updated HDMI audio driver is unrelated to the issue at hand. Yes the message relates to audio hardware... but they're two completely separate pieces of hardware with different drivers. If you don't use the AMD HDMI audio hardware, I suggest to disable it in device manager.
    2. Your sound card and GPU being "legacy" is also not relevant for the issue at hand. Either newer drivers are available... or they're not. That would apply regardless of whether your hardware were ancient or just released yesterday.
    3. You shouldn't need to upgrade your hardware for MP[1] to work properly. The hardware is not so old or weird that I'd expect problems.
    4. Windows system event log tells me that the Xonar driver was installed on April 1 2017 and the ATI/AMD HDMI audio driver was installed on 18 June 2017.
    5. Windows updates are usually not worth chasing unless a problem starts after they're installed. For a one-off crash I'd say it's not worth chasing unless you have evidence to suggest they caused the crash in some way.
    6. I've never used MP2 so I cannot offer any advice - negative or positive - about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom