A little help with a Low-End HTPC... (1 Viewer)

Q

quadomatic

I was thinking about building a HTPC for a long time now. I dont have very much money to spare. I was wondering if its possible to run Media Portal with a Pentium 2 @ 400mhz and a KWorld Studio TV Terminator (it has hardware encoding i believe and its not listed as a card that will not work). I'm willing to spend a bit more to get one of those VIA processors that are soldered onto the motherboard. The only reason i mention pentium 2 is cuz im trying to use spare parts i have lying around.

So, a little help?

A

Anonymous

too make your htpc worth anything, your gonna want at least a p4 2.4ghz. If you can't spare 400, to get a decent one, your best bet would just to get a tivo or an xbox:/

A

Anonymous

I'm running MP on a Pentium2 400 using a Twinhan DVB-T card (hardware encoding) and a GF2 400. It plays music, records shows, shows pictures, etc. The interface lags a bit and its jerky if you are recording and watching at the same time, but it all works OK. If it's spare kit thats not doing anything, why not give it a try and see if you can cope with a slow machine rather than spending money. It doesn't cost anything to give it a try.

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
dsmith said:
too make your htpc worth anything, your gonna want at least a p4 2.4ghz. If you can't spare 400, to get a decent one, your best bet would just to get a tivo or an xbox:/

I really disagree with the p4 2.4ghz comment. My MP runs excellent with my config (see sig). Also if you do a search, there are many people running it on an Epia (the soldered on chips).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom