A new Acer tablet used for MediaPortal, or: adding TOUCH support for MP2 :) (1 Viewer)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Today I decided to buy the quite new Acer Switch 10 convertible (tablet+detachable keyboard): http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspireswitch10
    I have the 64GB version, 2GB RAM, 32 bit Windows 8.1.

You might imagine what I've done first: using tabled only (no keyboard) I installed MediaPortal 2. I took the 10AE Update 1 testbuild from few days before and installed it.

Good: the installer complained about missing DX9 :) After that the installation of MP2-Client went quick and hazzlefree, DOKAN and LAV codecs got installed properly.

The first run was great. MP2 looks really cool on tablet :) I directly went into movies, started playback of "Werner" :D HD video. It looked great. Next I tried PiP, works well!

Now the things get more complicated. What is still "ok", is the navigation back: because we have the top bar, I can go back a step. I also can control players using the OSD. Now I'm really happy that we always thought about mouse users, it already solves "one half" of requirements of touch users. The hidden menu can be quickly opened by the button, very useful and reachable by the left thumb when holding the tablet.

The bad things at last:
    Without having keyboard attached (and no on screen keyboard), you quickly reach your limits: as soon as you would need to scroll, you are lost. The touches are handled like moving mouse over buttons, so you can focus but not scroll.
    Another point to solve are the "back" keys that are currently much used and also the "info" key (actions, OSD, menus).

I already starting to think about gestures and features how to make MP2 work with touch. First "must have" is to support touch for scrolling. Next we could define some "wipes" for "back" and "info", like:

Wipe right: navigate back
    Wipe down: open a kind of "shortcut" menu from top
    Long tap: info

So I will look into Windows' touch API support as next.

Nice new toy :D

Last edited:

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I already starting to think about gestures and features how to make MP2 work with touch. First "must have" is to support touch for scrolling. Next we could define some "wipes" for "back" and "info", like:
    Wipe right: navigate back
    Wipe down: open a kind of "shortcut" menu from top
    Long tap: info
    So I will look into Windows' touch API support as next.
    Nice new toy :D
    Great!! That would bring a great bonus to MP2 :)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

milka

Portal Member
    July 14, 2008
    Home Country
    hi Morpheus, i'm getting a SP3 soon, will give this a shot. would absolutely love to use MP on the big screen AND the small screen.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Stay tuned, a new MP2 build is coming soon... :)

riggnix

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Little improvement idea (I hope this is the right thread for this ;) ):

When playing media in full screen, the info UI shows the current point in time of the media item in a progress bar.
    Clicking/touching the progress bar should jump to that point in time, like VLC or other media players would.

This would make mouse/touch control much more intuitive ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom