A newbie that needs some help (1 Viewer)

egold

Portal Member
January 29, 2006
Evening everyone.

I just bought a msi 550pro should be here by the end of this comming week.
I've looked at gb-pvr and this program, after looking through the site I felt this site was much more organized and read a few posts around the net on the quality of the software also.

Im totally new to prv but experienced in building systems.

I heard cyberlink was junk so I'd like to use this software.

I am running xp pro service pack 2, media player 10, .net vers2 installed already.

first after installing the drivers for the msi card should I not even install cyberlink?

I downloaded The main program vers.0.2rc2 is this the right version of the program?

what other programs or files do I need to use mediaportal, I see there are other things in the download section

I also have read about a mpeg2 encoder, do I need this with my card and if so what do i need?

will the enclosed remote work with this software and if not what would I need to do to get it to work.

any help on any of my questions would be appreciated

Thanks

Evan

p.s anything else I should know about? After looking at beyond tv snapstream gbprv all the reviews of the cards I feel like this is a whole new world lol.

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
egold said:
Evening everyone.

I just bought a msi 550pro should be here by the end of this comming week.
I've looked at gb-pvr and this program, after looking through the site I felt this site was much more organized and read a few posts around the net on the quality of the software also.

Im totally new to prv but experienced in building systems.

I heard cyberlink was junk so I'd like to use this software.

I am running xp pro service pack 2, media player 10, .net vers2 installed already.

first after installing the drivers for the msi card should I not even install cyberlink?

I downloaded The main program vers.0.2rc2 is this the right version of the program?

what other programs or files do I need to use mediaportal, I see there are other things in the download section

I also have read about a mpeg2 encoder, do I need this with my card and if so what do i need?

will the enclosed remote work with this software and if not what would I need to do to get it to work.

any help on any of my questions would be appreciated

Thanks

Evan

p.s anything else I should know about? After looking at beyond tv snapstream gbprv all the reviews of the cards I feel like this is a whole new world lol.

fddshow
vosub
AC3

some ripping program
mp3 cDex
DVD dvdripper
divx

Nvidia encoder

egold

Portal Member
January 29, 2006
Thank you for the reply,

I already had cdex.

dvd ripping as in clone dvd and anydvd?

I downloaded fddhow and vosub and ac3. I vosub just for subtitles?

divx at there site there are a few options
divx play which has the polayer and codec
divx create which has a player procodec and converter

which one should i get?

nvidia encoder I didnt see a encoder on there site but did see a purevideo decoder is that the one I need or something else?

besides those do I need anything else other than the main mediaportal for the software and card to work?

thanks

Evan

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
Divex

egold said:
Thank you for the reply,

I already had cdex.

dvd ripping as in clone dvd and anydvd?

I downloaded fddhow and vosub and ac3. I vosub just for subtitles?

which one should i get?

nvidia encoder I didnt see a encoder on there site but did see a purevideo decoder is that the one I need or something else?

besides those do I need anything else other than the main mediaportal for the software and card to work?

thanks

Evan

Just use the freeware divx plaer 6.. dont install the plaeyr just the codec..
Nvidia can you get if you use Theatretek.. Download a trial and test.. I only use the Nvidia code best picture ...

I think you have everything you need to datr MP

December 28, 2005
Sydney
Home Country
yes. go for the 'nVidia PureVideo Decoder ' http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html
U dont "need" this to get it up and runing, but when u select this as your TV video codec i feel that it gives one of the best picture quality.

vosub just for subtitles?
yes...I think it is just for subtitle.

which one should i get?
get the player and codec

u need a BDA driver for the tv card. it may or may not come with the card drivers CD.

if u r planning to backup your dvd on your hard drives you will need a tool so media portal can mount these ISO file so they can be played. http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5

its all up to u it will not effect the way media portal runs in ether case.

egold

Portal Member
January 29, 2006
thank you for the reply,

I do have and use dameon tools for running papyrus nasacr 2003 is cd is just about to scratched to use it anymore. Im not planning on backing up dvd's but more in using to record and watch tv along with the ease of viewing picture listening to music and such.

You mentioned a BDA driver what is that for and where do you get one lol.

If installing cyberlink wont interfere with the use of mediaportal perhaps i'll give it a whirl seeing it has the interface for the remote and so far i havent come across any other software that i can use. It would be nice to be able to navigate from a chair vs the mouse.

Thanks again and hope as i learn I can contribute to the forum

Evan

egold

Portal Member
January 29, 2006
thank you for the reply,

I do have and use dameon tools for running papyrus nasacr 2003 is cd is just about to scratched to use it anymore. Im not planning on backing up dvd's but more in using to record and watch tv along with the ease of viewing picture listening to music and such.

If installing cyberlink wont interfere with the use of mediaportal perhaps i'll give it a whirl seeing it has the interface for the remote and so far i havent come across any other software that i can use. It would be nice to be able to navigate from a chair vs the mouse.

Evan

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
BDA driver

egold said:
thank you for the reply,

This is the capture driver for the tv card.. MP use this format to handling your tuner..
This is essential..
If there is a BDA driver you find it in the manufactor site...

Have you chek that your card is supported???

Evan

December 28, 2005
Sydney
Home Country
Broadcast Driver Architecture (BDA)

I just had a look at manufactures site http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppo....php?part=10&kind=34&CHIP=1&COM=&Page=2&num=0 and your card divers say that it supports MCE2005 , this uses Broadcast Driver Architecture (BDA). So hopefully it will work for u.. I’ve also found that when I install BDA, the software that came with my TV card to view with don’t work because it cant find the drivers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom