A perfect HTPC with MP & PVR Scheduler & faster XP | Page 2

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by STSC, January 9, 2006.

1. Taipan
    • Team MediaPortal

Taipan Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    I am using PVR Scheduler with the SVN from June 26 and it is working perfectly - what "problems" are you referring to... :?

But, PVR Scheduler does much more than PowerScheduler - it runs scripts before standby, at resume from standby (I use this feature to turn my power amps on and off) - it wakes the PC to run the EPG grabber - shuts down MediaPortal and restarts it when going into standby and resuming and much, much more.... :)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eagle

eagle Portal Pro

Software-Developer
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    ... and it is nearly free. You have just to donate a little amount of your choice to the author and you will get all future updates for free :D

eagle

4. mPod

mPod Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    What i-loop wanted to drive at is that n-lite and such crap can lead to very bad MP problems, so BETTER DO NOT USE STRIPPED DOWN WINDOWS VERSIONS WITH MP. Of course, codec packs and so on also should NOT be used.

5. eagle

eagle Portal Pro

Software-Developer
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    As far as I informed the MP-concerning code is published. Only the code of PVR-Scheduler itself isn't. The reason is, I suppose, that PVR-Scheduler can be used as an standalone-app or with other Media-Centers.

But nevertheless it is not up to me to decide whether this thread is advertising or not and which taste it gives.

It works for me as I want it to work, more than power-scheduler does.

eagle

6. mPod

mPod Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, I had a too old information. I corrected my above post about the GPL problem....

Sorry again!

7. jcee

jcee Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Question regarding powerstates and wakeup.

I understand that PVR scheduler can wakeup the PC from Soft-off by using an external program called "CMos...", shich actually means writing into the BIOS directly?

I understand that this is complicated and might not work. So my question is: When I set it to go into hibernate, will PVR scheduler still wake up my PC, even without this CMOS timer program?!

How does this work? I thought that it relies on the RTC, so that should not work with this CMOS programm.

What would happen if meanwhile the computer was completly withouth power (plug pulled out of wall), would it startup again?

Is this true for standby?!

I am looking for a practical solution, but I am scared to go into Standby, because the power could be interuppted meanwhile.

And this CMOS thing seems to complicated for me!

8. Aaron

Aaron Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    jcee, I do believe that the wake up alarm fucntion is embedded in the BIOS of all new computers. AFAIK, it works just like a hardware based RTC (albiet a little more complex :) but the principle is the same). The bios stores a time/day/month stamp which it constantly compares to the clock (each time it ticks or whatever) and when the stamp matches the time, it powers up your mobo (from standby, hibernation or off - although this MIGHT depend on your type of mobo).

The software that sets the alarm simply writes to the time stamp. Being stored in battery backed up memory (the BIOS/CMOS), an alarm should still work after a power outage (but obvously wouldn't turn a computer on if there is no mains to it at the time). The only way it could 'forget' would be if the battery was flat/removed, or the CMOS reset.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!