A Public Site (1 Viewer)

bigal

Portal Pro
September 18, 2005
Gothenburg
I have an idea of having a second site for MediaPortal witch is ment for those people how is intressted in using MP only.
I think for example that the News on the current site is inrelevant for those people.
A simple site that tells witch cards that work and the features of MP. A easy support service that many of us can help to answer. and other userfriendly things

what us your opinion?

/BigAl

bigal

Portal Pro
September 18, 2005
Gothenburg
I ment a site with news and everything but mor userfriendly. News like "a new function is added"...
a site that is suited for newbies and others how just want an alternativ Media Center, not getting new about CVS's, development and so on

by the way, i am in the Documentation Team and we are working on a new manual (manual.elite-squad.net) so don't complain...do something instead =)

/BigAl

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

not that bad that idea. But what is wrong with the normal frontpage? Wouldn't it be better to keep all those sites at one place?
    Perhaps you could ask to help making the frontpage better.... :)

Flip.

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

not that bad that idea. But what is wrong with the normal frontpage? Wouldn't it be better to keep all those sites at one place?
    Perhaps you could ask to help making the frontpage better....

There are so many sites out there, already.
    Mediaportal.sf.net,
    Mediaportal-skins.net,
    mediaportal.elite-squad.net/forum/
    and quit a lot of forums in different languages.
    Relaunching or changing the frontpage would be a good idea.

Regards
    Ralph

bigal

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2005
    Gothenburg
    My idea was a userfriendly site so we can modify the exicting, just so first-time-visitors doesn't run away because it sound to advanced and to "much" ti coop with

/BigAl

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    bigal said:
    My idea was a userfriendly site so we can modify the exicting, just so first-time-visitors doesn't run away because it sound to advanced and to "much" ti coop with
    sound like a good idea.
    do you know a website that uses such a userfriendly layout?

Mr. Turner

Portal Member
    June 19, 2005
    I agree that for complete newbies such a site would be very nice, usefull. I would seriously improve the navigation (1 navigation instead of information and site navigation). Also I would add a tutorial or article section with common questions like "DVR-MS to MPEG", the stickies about codec packs...
    A custom frontpage with "filtered" (only user-relelated) news, would also be very nice.

If someone seriously wants to do this: PM me. I'll be glad to help out (I'm a webdesigner and -coder).

Mr. Turner

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    Mr. Turner said:
    I agree that for complete newbies such a site would be very nice, usefull. I would seriously improve the navigation (1 navigation instead of information and site navigation). Also I would add a tutorial or article section with common questions like "DVR-MS to MPEG", the stickies about codec packs...
    A custom frontpage with "filtered" (only user-relelated) news, would also be very nice.

If someone seriously wants to do this: PM me. I'll be glad to help out (I'm a webdesigner and -coder).

Mr. Turner

No matter how good things are there is always room to improve.

I think all the information is there, wiki & forums but it still needs to be organized a bit more. It is coming along though.

Wiki is great and I have been updating it lately with as much info as I can think of.

If we have help maintianing, organizing and everyone contributing even the smallest bit of information we will achieve what people want here. Is there a tutorials section on the wiki yet?

It's the continious ideas and improvement that will lead to bigger and better things.

My ideal goal as I have expressed in other posts is to have a portal type site as the home base so to speak. Everyone seems to have their own Media Portal site with files etc ...if these can come together in an organized way then we would really be off to the races.

There are issues to this though as we have foudn out ...whether it be funding or currently limitations of hardware, time etc. If we set out some goals and work at them it should come together.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    devo said:
    I think all the information is there, wiki & forums but it still needs to be organized a bit more.
    absolutely correct!
    thats what we try to improve.

our target is a documentation that:
    x provides all information a user, who is new to Media Portal, needs to build a HTPC that is working flawless
    x explains all features of Media Portal
    x is easy to update and maintain
    x is available online
    x can be attached to the MediaPortal releases as pdf file and can be downloaded

you can find our work in progress documentation here
    http://manual.elite-squad.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom