A sad, but temporary, farewell... (1 Viewer)

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I've never used any of the wake-up features in either MP or Myth, mostly because my HTPC does other things (e.g. music, web server) and never really has much time to sleep. Still, what distro were you using? I'd be glad to help you if that was the only feature holding you back from trying out Myth again.

I've just gotten Ubuntu 6.10 downloaded, so when I get time I'll try that out - maybe they've gotten this built into the repo package.

I had to hack together an installation for myth 0.19 because when I was doing it on my Ubuntu 6.06 installation, it didn't have myth 0.19 in its repos.

Sam

quiller

Portal Pro
November 28, 2006
Nebraska
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
samuel1337 said:
I've just gotten Ubuntu 6.10 downloaded, so when I get time I'll try that out - maybe they've gotten this built into the repo package.
Yup. Everything you need is in repos.

wishywashy said:
Dell is getting ready to sell PC's with linux preinstalled.
Didn't a mainstream retailer try this before? It was probably too soon then, and might be too soon now. Then again, Mac's recent surge might have prepared the public to switch away from Windows, regardless of Linux or OS X.

Hopefully they don't end up choosing SUSE. As great as it is for some situations, it's not the most user friendly or the most attractive, which would end up continuing the slant against Linux as "tech only."

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I think you have to be techical to some extent to use any distro. not only technical but persistent! Try using linux and NEVER using the command line. You'll have to at some point I'm sure. I think if the average no technical person buys a dell PC pre-loaded with linux everything will be fine until they want to make use of some feature that dosn't come with the PC and they have to find, download install and configure some application, codec or driver. For example if you go and buy some web cam. Ok maybe you'll be lucky plug it in and it will just work. but if it dosn't work what can the average consumer do? With windows they can look in the device manger delet the device re-install (auto run) the CD it came with roll back the drive. In linux toy'll probably have to hit the forums then get your hads dirty with the command line and text editor! Don't get me wrong I love linux but I work in IT and see everyday 100s of average cusumers who struggle to use Microsoft Windows XP/Vista, the most user friendly and intutive operating system out there! (pipe down Mac OS users! ;-))

No desktop linux is not ready for mass market. I doubt the the average consumer would last a month with a linux based dell before getting it reloaded with windows!

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
By no means is a Linux pre-install a mass consumer PC. I would imagine it would be geared more towards the people who actually asked for/suggested they sell it.

I would be useing MythTV myself, but I could never get my Niveus remote to fuction properly through lirc.

By no means am I putting MP down. For a Windows solution it is (for me) by far the best program available. It's just, Linux/MythTV is TOTALLY free.

Once again, I would like to say Media Portal is the best solution for the Windows OS. Thank you to the developers for allowing me to record TV (1 ATSC, 2 analog), watch DVD's and videos, listen to music/radio/internet streams... Thanks again!

quiller

Portal Pro
November 28, 2006
Nebraska
Home Country
Rhys.Goodwin said:
Try using linux and NEVER using the command line. You'll have to at some point I'm sure.
That's exactly what Ubuntu was designed for, though. A lot of guides give CLI instructions, but most things can be done from GUI and CLI.

Rhys.Goodwin said:
With windows they can look in the device manger delet[e] the device re-install (auto run) the CD it came with roll back the drive.
How many "average no technical" people know how to use Windows' Device Manager?

Rhys.Goodwin said:
For example if you go and buy some web cam. Ok maybe you'll be lucky plug it in and it will just work. but if it dosn't work what can the average consumer do?
Two points: 1) That's the hardware manufacturer's fault for not including Linux-compatible drivers (the same as if they hadn't included Mac-compatible drivers). 2) What does the average consumer do if something doesn't work in Windows? They give up, sure, but not all hardware works OOTB in Windows, either.

Back to the point: no, Linux/Ubuntu isn't ready for mainstream use, but considering the context is it possible for ANY competing OS to be ready for "mainstream" use? Even OS X can't match Windows in terms of user familiarity. Ubuntu is, objectively, as easy-to-use as Windows--the only thing holding it back is that it isn't Windows.

wishywashy said:
By no means am I putting MP down. For a Windows solution it is (for me) by far the best program available. It's just, Linux/MythTV is TOTALLY free.
Same for me. I was disappointed that I never got MP to a functional, production-level state. However, it appears that the majority of my problems (beyond, arguably, picture quality) were the fault of Windows (namely: fragmenting, stability).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom