A simple Reset MediaPortal command please (1 Viewer)

skris88

March 8, 2009
Home Country
Hi

I am running MediaPortal on a Vista Home system. The TV tuner is no longer working. It worked perfectly, I removed the card (USB device) and now even though Vista sees the device and there are no errors in Device Manager, MediaPortal says there is no AV device. I have checked these forums but there is no simple command to delete the settings and start again. I don't wish to have to fiddle with config files, SQL settings, etc. MediaPortal will bring me the benefit of watching media other than MS-DVR and DVDs on the same interface, but if this is all too hard I will just go back to Windows Media Center.

Common developers, make this WORK. Sorry but the Open Source community needs to understand that to kill Windows for good, open source needs to be consumer-friendly, not nerd-friendly. I keep trying to get end-users to switch to Linux, but every time there is some complicated technical fix to make something work. Scares the hell out of the general public.

Please don't get angry with me, but take this as positive feedback and improve MediaPortal.

And, my apologies if I missed the instructions already on this forum somewhere that tells me how to Reset MediaPortal. If so, PLEASE tell me where to look (and not in my dark place where the sun doesn't shine).

Thanks, cheers, and good luck!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Common developers, make this WORK. Sorry but the Open Source community needs to understand that to kill Windows for good, open source needs to be consumer-friendly, not nerd-friendly. I keep trying to get end-users to switch to Linux, but every time there is some complicated technical fix to make something work. Scares the hell out of the general public.

...but there is one catch... Many of the open source developers aren't planning a world domination, they are just building something for their own use. That's what conflicts many times with the easy of use. Of course it would be nice to have really user friendly config etc. but that would mean less features for the developers itself, and that is something most of the developers cannot tolerate :p

At least I personally put the stability and usefulness ahead when compared to easiness of configuration when it comes to MP.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Many of the open source developers aren't planning a world domination

LOL... unlike some of the Linux evangelists out there .... :)

skris88 - what do you reckon the DEVs are doing? Wringing their hands and making evil laughing noises while joking among themselves about schemes to create a bunch of confused and disappointed n00b htpc users?

MediaPortal development *is* constantly occurring with revisions and improvements made FOR FREE by a dedicated team of people in their SPARE TIME.

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I seriously doubt that its about indifference to end user experience.

Hope you manage to fix the issue. MP /can/ be a lot of work to get set up and running. If you dont want to put in the effort or time it may take, then there are simpler alternatives out there with less features and flexibility

Not all of which are provided for FREE.....

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TVServer reset to nothing.

Uninstall TVServer, during this operation, it gives you the choice of keeping settings or removing them, chose remove and continue with the uninstall.
    Once done, you can then chose reinstall using the MP1.0.exe and it should only install TVServer + TVClient plugin, as it should autodetect MP1.0 is already installed.

This should take no longer than 5 minutes and you then have a clean config\database.

skris88

March 8, 2009
    Home Country
    TVServer reset to nothing.

Uninstall TVServer, during this operation, it gives you the choice of keeping settings or removing them, chose remove and continue with the uninstall.
    Once done, you can then chose reinstall using the MP1.0.exe and it should only install TVServer + TVClient plugin, as it should autodetect MP1.0 is already installed.

This should take no longer than 5 minutes and you then have a clean config\database.

Thanks Paranoid Delusion. I'll do that.

I was in need of a rant! Hence my yelling about Open Source in general. :sorry: The fact is I tried MP 1 year ago and gave up, and am trying it again.

Re the other comments, I appreciate all the free development work, but please don't forget to keep the end in mind: an application that can be USED, not something that needs to be tweaked because for IT people (me included) tweaking is actually fun! But not for the majority of users out there who are ALSO unhappy with Windows Media Center. So Media Portal has a great opportunity - to get donations from the vast ocean of user who will run - not walk - to Media Portal from Windows Media Centre. Isn't that something to strive for? I've tried XBMC, but it has an error message immediately when launched. Now, I am a bit of a tech-head, and I can't get it to work first off? What about the average user?! Same for Media Portal. It's improved a lot, but like all software it will have some bugs - but that must be considered and 'repair' built into the software. :)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Kris

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to be fair, if you have a usb tv tuner with Windows MCE and unplug it, you get exactly the same result, MCE see's it as a new device, because every time you unplug anything usb it gets a new hardware address, and if your not careful your device goes from being labelled "1" in TVServer config, it starts apearing as device 2\3\4 with no channels mapped to it :(

Regarding ease of use, if you used MP a year ago, then you must have noticed a significant improvement on the installation and a lot of settings are now auto configured for the end user, and we are always looking at ways of improving things, but I agree, you still have to be a bit geeky to fully understand everything MP is capable of.

skris88

March 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks Paranoid Delusion. Re "device goes from being labelled "1" in TVServer config, it starts apearing as device 2\3\4 with no channels mapped to it", that's good to know. USB and PnP is one thing I notice isn't as simple as it's been marketed out to be by the Sales teams.

I've been busy and will try MP again later this weekend.

All you DEVs out there, keep up the good work. My hat off to you, I can't do what it is you do. But PLEASE also keep in mind options for dumb end-users like me to Reset Settings, maybe even a Save/Reset settings.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom