About to buy a TVTuner just 4 MediaPortal! Help? (1 Viewer)

Paul S

Portal Pro
May 14, 2006
Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I wanted to add something, you said that you want to watch cable TV with MP. I am not sure if MP supports this. If someone knows for sure that it supports analog cable, please let us know.

Paul

M4NDR4K3

Portal Member
November 8, 2006
Thanks Paul,
My laptop has the recommended requeriments for using the PINNACLE USB that I showed. Is compatible with MCE so hopefully will work with MediaPortal, I hope the control remote and all the stuff works also :-P

Thanks for ur time...

Hunter

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi M4NDR4K3,

Sorry my post was too technical. I will try to explain more simply. There are two (2) class of products on the market for analog TV.

1. TV Capture cards or USB boxes/sticks
    2. TV Capture + encoder cards or USB boxes/sticks

The major difference that the encoder part, these devices have a chip (in hardware) which encodes the TV image into an mpeg2 format. Encoding real time into mpeg2 is quite a processor intensive task and these devices have deadicated hardware for that. Otherwise, this has to be done by the computer CPU.

Many users have problems with non hardware encoding TV cards have performace problems, because the CPU needs to encode the TV image and in most cases decode it again for display.

So it is also recommended to get a TV capture device that has a build in hardware encoder. For USB I believe the range is very limited. I personally do not know of any others except the hauppauge PVR range for USB.

On a personal note: I would not buy a Pinnacle product, and certainly not the 100E. I have tried one, because it was kicking around at work (came free with some PC for our lab), and was less then impressed.

Hope this helps,

/James

M4NDR4K3

Portal Member
    November 8, 2006
    James,
    I've found this:
    "One thing that seperates this TV Tuner/Capture box from the others is that it is Mpeg hardware encoded"
    This is from this "cheap" USB device: "USB 2.0 TV Tuner/Capture Box/MPEG Encoder"

Just wanna know if that works like an Encoder, so it dosen't uses too much resources of my laptop...
    It looks cheap, so I dunno if its gonna work fine in MediaPortal.. what are ur thoughts about this?

Thanks for ur time James, really...

Mandrake

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi M4NDR4K3,

It seems according to this website that this device does have built in hardware encoding.

"One thing that seperates this TV Tuner/Capture box from the others is that it is Mpeg hardware encoded. This allows for real-time MPEG2 and MPEG4 recording from practically any source. "

So this should work. I don't know anything about this device and the site does not provide much info. I searched on the product number and found this:

Philips 713x chipset USB2.0 Super Digital Video/TV Box - HY713X

at this site: http://www.everdeals.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Videocapture
    which is also cheaper :)

So maybe someone who has this device or know more about the Philips 713x chipset can comment.

Cheers,

/James

MZWiZard

Portal Member
    October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I had a cheap PCI card, that has a Philips 7134 chip. It came at $20 with remote, but unfortunately no hardware encoding, so I had to pass it on.

M4NDR4K3

Portal Member
    November 8, 2006
    Thanks James and Paul S for making me smile lol...

So Paul S, if the Terractec Cinergy 400 uses the same cheap that means it should work with MediaPortal? I've click in the description and it says this: "This card is only supported with third-part MPEG-2 Encoders from either Cyberlink or InterVideo." What does this means?
    Another question, why is under "Analog Software Encoding" shouldn't it be under "Analog Hardware Encoding"?

I'm sorry to bother with the SAME THING again, but this USB Device comes with a Control Remote (yay!), is there any chance that this works with MediaPortal?

It's great to know that people in the other side of the world took 5 minutes to reply something that is not big deal for them (but it is for me). Thank u guys!

M4NDR4K3

Paul S

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2006
    Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks James and Paul S for making me smile lol...

So Paul S, if the Terractec Cinergy 400 uses the same cheap that means it should work with MediaPortal? I've click in the description and it says this: "This card is only supported with third-part MPEG-2 Encoders from either Cyberlink or InterVideo." What does this means?

That means it should work, you may need to configure MP first. You also need to install a MPEG -2 encoder, as I explained earlier, MP encodes video files using the MPEG-2 encoder
    Another question, why is under "Analog Software Encoding" shouldn't it be under "Analog Hardware Encoding"?

This is not the same card, just the same chip. It can be use by many manufacturers in many different configurations.
    I'm sorry to bother with the SAME THING again, but this USB Device comes with a Control Remote (yay!), is there any chance that this works with MediaPortal?

It's great to know that people in the other side of the world took 5 minutes to reply something that is not big deal for them (but it is for me). Thank u guys!

M4NDR4K3

You will have to set up the remote seperately.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom