[solved] AC3 filter for Music playing (1 Viewer)

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    BTW, i am wondering, why we use in MP different players for audio and video. LAV is able to decode/playback the most known audio file formats. I've asked this question already some years ago, never got an answer.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i mean, why do we not play music with LAV too?
    Okay.
    For a start, it is possible to configure MP to play music with LAV.
    I expect (speculation/opinion) the default is not LAV for various reasons including:
    1. Historical - BASS has been around a lot longer than LAV.
    2. LAV didn't natively support DTS until v0.65 (April 2015), and BASS still supports more random/rare audio formats.
    3. BASS supports more audio/music-related features (eg. visualisations, spectrum analyser).
    4. BASS "just works" without any hassles.
    5. There's no problem including BASS in MP; on the other hand, including LAV is questionable.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There's no problem including BASS in MP; on the other hand, including LAV is questionable.

Why is LAV 'questionable' (just curious)?

LAV 0.65 added native decoding for DTS-HD, standard DTS decoding was supported by much earlier versions.

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Just a quick, off-topic, correction - LAV Audio Decoder can decode AC3 and DTS (including DTS-HD natively since version 0.65, so it does not need dtsdecoder.dll to do that).

I did not know it, how to set it up? With poor LAV installation the AC3 and dts files in my case are not supported. I am using internal sound card (realtek) with analogue outputs (not the opticla one).

Many thanks.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1) the volume level of music via BASS was different against to the volume for video/TV/DVD files
    2) the audio qulity - i.e. surroug effect for 5+1 configuration was different (with Ac3 better) with AC3 filter against to the BASS

That's also an issue I have. Though admittedly that could be adjusted through our usage of the BASS APIs. I believe I could see this by the levels shown in my spectrum visualizer, levels in the signal are higher when BASS is in use.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The one problem I have with BASS is that it's not open source.
    I meant in terms of licensing... but yes, you're right - it's not open source. I tend to agree with hwahrmann's comment in the linked thread (lot of effort to change - is it worth investing that effort etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom