[confirm] Access to network shares is really slow (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Access to network shares is really slow

OK; My opinion to the bug in MP is, what I´ve wrote in the last replys: It´s a fundamental design decision of the dev´s of MP that MP should use database data instead of (slow) direct file access. All players, that I know, build a database for/of it´s used files, because it´s easier to handle with ands it´s faster

MP allows both database and direct folder stuctore based views. Database view is recommended since it wont have any bottleneck with the constant metadata queries.

trenty27

Portal Member
    June 12, 2010
    MP allows both database and direct folder stuctore based views. Database view is recommended since it wont have any bottleneck with the constant metadata queries.

I gave the database view a try, but it really requires your music to be properly tagged, and it's such a pain for the videos, if you don't want to spend a lot of time fixing the automatic scan results.

How about adding, in the configuration/music and configuration/movies, an option to disable the metadata queries and fall back using just the plain directory/filenames info?

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Access to network shares is really slow

just a thought... what about editing the music view? Instead of "track, artist, title and duration" -> just show the filename (mp config -> music -> music sort)

don't have that much music files, but perhaps you could try...?

jelizalde

Portal Member
    June 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Mexico Mexico
    Same problem here. With videos, music and pictures (I have large network directories with hundreds of files). It is anoying. Otherwise, the MP is awesome!

wagenveld

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I don't see the problem, you're just going to have to face tagging your music properly! For video, MPTvseries and Moving Pictures are really good in picking up different titles. Believe me, once you've everything organized in a database you don't want to go back.

I have my music tagged by genre, it's just real easy and fast to use, even for the mrs! I use Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...) to tag my music.

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't see the problem, you're just going to have to face tagging your music properly! For video, MPTvseries and Moving Pictures are really good in picking up different titles. Believe me, once you've everything organized in a database you don't want to go back.

I have my music tagged by genre, it's just real easy and fast to use, even for the mrs! I use Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...) to tag my music.

I agree. Tagging music is a must. I have 11000+ mp3's and its a breeze to navigate in MP with the database. Tagging isnt as bad as you might think as with most tagging software you can mutli tag hundreds of files at once. Eg with the same genre, year etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom