Accessing TitanTV for EPG in USA for MP1 (2 Viewers)

John David

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2016
    Lancaster County, PA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Can anyone help me learn how to access TitanTV with an EPG grabber? Like other USA based MP users I’ve lost Imdb (WebEPG) access. I understand that SchedulesDirect is an alternative for a fee, yet TitanTV is available and does not charge.

The problem I’ve found is that following the current MP Guide when I click on TitanTV it intimates that TitanTV requires a UUID. I created one but it got me no where. According to an email from TitanTV, they do not use UUIDs but a username and password. There is no place in the configuration process that I could find where I might enter username and password. Consequently, I’m unable to access TitanTV with MP. I’m able to utilize TitanTV with my WinTV8 program but would rather use MP1.18.

In a nutshell, I need help. Any ideas?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    not sure about your background or computer skills or how much work/learning you want to do. Since wintv8/Hauppauge can access titantv, I did google search for titan tv api and found the following

TitanTV " TitanTV provides an API that allows users to retrieve information on TV programs and lineups. Another API retrieves recording schedule entries. Both services rely on SOAP-based calls issued in XML format."

this has link to DataService Web Service

not sure what you need to be a full registered/legal API user, or what it would take to use a sniffer like wireshark to see how wintv8 gets access to titan tv. Don't know if it would be easy or hard to use webEPG or write a c# or other language program to use the API.

mc2xml also has titantv option, but I've never seen any info about how you get needed IDs, KEYs or other access codes to use mc2xml/titantv. No idea if mc2xml still works with titantv.

I switched to Schedules Direct $25/year, 1 cup of coffee/month a few years ago

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mc2xml has support for a bunch of services including SchedulesDirect and TitanTV:
    mc2xml

mc2xml gives you an XMLTV file that can then be imported by TV Server's XMLTV plugin:
    XMLTV mc2xml

John David

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2016
    Lancaster County, PA
    Home Country
    Ron, You raise important questions. My programing experiences is extremely limited (Applesoft basic, HTML, and a smattering of PHP), and even your terminology is a bit overwhelming. My son and daughter are programmers and utilize C# and other languages, but they do not live near me for consultation. I'm quite dependent upon tips the Forum community gives. I built my computer and have uilized computers since the early 1980s. Your point is well taken that $25 a year is not a great amount of money, but if a free service is possible and adequate for my needs it would save that cash to donate to MP. ;-)

I wonder if I should write to TitanTV again and ask them what would need to be done to MP files to access their system.

John David

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2016
    Lancaster County, PA
    Home Country
    mm1352000,
    Thanks for your tips. I'll follow up on these leads. I have not had good luck using the XMLTTV-mc2xml guide as some of the information in it appears to be outdated or inaccurate. I'll try again, though.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    if you do enough googling you might find enough info about how to config mc2xml to work with titantv, or other hints about how to get "keys" "userids". I've never spent the time to really look.

my guess is titantv, tvguide, zap2it, and other online web EPG sources really sell EPG service to major settop box people like directtv and others and the titatntv api links are used by settop boxes to display EPG and schedule recordings.

John David

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2016
    Lancaster County, PA
    Home Country
    Ron, You make an excellent point. Thanks. I keep forgetting the power of Googling detailed questions like this. I appreciate this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom