[Music] add categories view in music (1 Viewer)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello everyone,

Normally I use the share view. The reason for this is I can create folders as I please and browse through them.
Little more explaining:
>Folder 1: "Music general"
>>Content: All music I like in one folder. No subfolders for albums present.

>Folder 2: "Kids music"
>>Content: Folders with the albums, like: sesamestreat, Fairytails, K3 music

>Folder 3: "Dads music" (SACD's / FLAC's)
>>Content: Folders with the albums, like: SACD Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson DTS/Flacs etc.)

Because the above structure is not possible to show using a DB view, I have always stuck to Share view. (Atleast from my limited knowledge about DB views I have never seen an option to get something similar to share view).
But recently I realised after talking to HomeY that if I would be able to add a folders content (or individual music files) to a category, the result would look very similar to share view. The means / tool to tag each music file/folder with a category I have no idea about how to do that.

I see before me, Enter music section. If there are categories defined, a question could be asked on which category to show. Possible is of course to be able to tick in configuration.exe > Music > Database a default categorie :)

When i.e. my folder 1 "Music General" is the default, I would ONLY see the files with in that categorie and not the contents of folder 2 or 3.
I am thinking about solutions and views being possible similar to how it is handled in Moving Pictures categories.

Kindly your feedback on this idea. We could build on top of this idea to make an even better improvement suggestion. :) All input is welcome. Even if my idea is a bad one.

Thanks for your reply.
@jameson_uk
@hwahrmann
I tagged you both becasue I know you have knowledge and interest in the music department. One of you will probably know the best person to give feedback on this. :)

@HomeY Thanks for the 'brainstorming' with me on this. I think we have got something nice here.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    That is exactly what my "Flexible Views" branch does.
    Development has been stalled for 1 year, but i started 2 weeks ago t work on it.
    If i am not loosing motivation again, i should come up with something in the next weeks.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    :D :D :D That's good news! Yes yes yes...!

Know you have 1 tester ready and available .. :) Ghehehe And maybe by going through the process of testing together with you, I might even learn something about DB's. :)
    This addition would help a lot of people to use the DB 'flexible' views :) I really would applaud this kind of change in the music section.

@HomeY : Please assist in giving hwahrmann as much motivation as possible. :)

Hwahrmann, Could you give a little bit more information about the implementation you have in mind? Im quite anxious to learn more about it.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nice to hear you're already working on something like this H. ;)
    I've 'reserved' @edterbak as your personal assistant.

@HomeY : Please assist in giving hwahrmann as much motivation as possible.
    C:
    // Sending 1 bottle of motivation-potion to hwahrmann
    Grr.... just noticed the above was 'commented out' ;) Should be on it's way H. !

But for now, let's enjoy the view ;)
    confidence.jpg

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @HomeY Yeah, ofcourse I intend to let hwahrmann do his magic. It wasnt intended as a push like that.
    But i'm happy with this discussion so nobody misses out on this nice feature! :D

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've 'reserved' @edterbak as your personal assistant.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: @hwahrmann :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Honored to be in your presence, Sir :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    ---------
    Sounds like Homey just coupled us together like an annoying love-doctor, without you even having a say in it... Done deal... Ghehehe.
    Now that's what I call delegating (y)(y) :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom