[Approved] Add support for scrolling in a loop (1 Viewer)

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Attachments

• Add-support-for-scrolling-in-a-loop.patch
      17.6 KB

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thanks a lot. is there also a solution, that allows to scroll while the focus is always on the center item and the list is moving up- or downward in the background?

Nice idea and good sketch (y)!

What you propose is often called "carousel control" and you can find some WPF examples like: http://wpfcarousel.codeplex.com/.

The code for that is not so complicated, we might port this to a MPF control...

Edit: if someone is not able to compile the example, I have added a binary

Edit: a Tried to make a reference, but didn't work from cell phone. There is an example in the bamboo theme tread for MP2 with more details of What I mean with above :)

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Brownard thanks again for your work. I've commited the patch to a new branch and pushed it to: https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2/commits/FEAT_LoopScroll

I've added a test screen (GUI Test plugin). Left side uses normal listview, right side looping mode.
    Once "LoopScroll" is enabled, you can no longer leave the list to up and down (red marked). One idea (yellow): should we use the other direction to leave the list in this case? Left line means: hit left, focus up. Right: hit right, focus down.

This could solve also some requests to improve navigations inside listviews.
    focus_movements.PNG

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    should we use the other direction to leave the list in this case?
    I think best is to use the "back" button to leave the loop especially if there is something right or left (some context menu) that needs to be accessible too. And if we have a "landscape" list the navigation should work with left/right buttons instead of up/down... Last but not least if we have a grid view this should work for both directions so we really only can leave with some extra button like the back button...

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's a tricky one :confused:

MP1 uses left/right to exit so that's what existing users are used to, I'm not sure if using the back button is particularly intuitive but neither is being stuck in the list lol.
    My original thought was to implement 'double tap' handling, e.g. when you're at the top of the list quickly double tapping up would exit the list, I briefly looked into that but it didn't seem easy to implement using the current input handling.

I think what MP2 really needs is a way to pragmatically override the focus handling so in the xaml you can define OnLeft, OnRight, etc (the same as you can in MP1), the default focus handling would still be used in most cases so you wouldn't have to define them for every control, but they would be useful in special cases like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom