Add the 'returning' air date to shows (1 Viewer)

glenb83

Portal Pro
April 24, 2009
Home Country
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but had a feature request - is it possible to add the 'returning' air date to shows? I know there is the start date, and whether the show has finished it's run or continuing, but I was wondering if there is a way to put the eta date of the latest season? Example - 'returning July 2012' or 'Season 9 returning August 2012' or something like that?

Thanks for a great plugin!

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, but had a feature request - is it possible to add the 'returning' air date to shows? I know there is the start date, and whether the show has finished it's run or continuing, but I was wondering if there is a way to put the eta date of the latest season? Example - 'returning July 2012' or 'Season 9 returning August 2012' or something like that?

The best way to make feature requests is to add them to the ticket tracker at the google code project website (after first searching nobody else came up with your idea already) at: http://code.google.com/p/mptvseries...Status Priority Stars Milestone Owner Summary (there are currently 109 open enhancements/bugs out of 636 total submissions)

To somewhat get the results you are after, you can enable the option in MP-TVSeries to download *ALL* available show information from TheTVdB and display this. Episodes you do not have yet will then show up in the offline color (for me thats in 'Orange'), and if the info is available will show their planned airdate.

But in the end it all comes down to the info available at TheTVdB, where some shows have more active editors then others. Take for example 'Fringe', it has been renewed for Season 5 (according to wikipedia: "The series has been renewed for a fifth and final season consisting of 13 episodes, which is scheduled to premiere in fall 2012"), but nobody created season '5' yet at TheTVdB so you wouldn't be able to see that yet anyway. Now I could have quickly created a 5x01 entry (did not on purpose to prove this point), but since hardly any info is known due to unknown scheduling its kinda pointless, so the fact the status is still at 'continuing' is enough and you could use the airdate of 4x01 to get a rough estimate on month/quarter the show will return. Most of the times the first episode of the next season starts a year later on the dot (with a few days correction to keep a Monday show on Monday/etc).

To me wikipedia is always the source I use to get info on news of next-season renewal (or cancellation) and I try to keep up with updating TheTVdB with that info after I can verify it via the wikipedia source link as there are many more editors keeping up with that site. Providers such as TV.com or TVRage.com also have a much larger userbase then TheTVdB, which reflects quickly in the accuracy of the information, but for the time being MP-TVSeries only supports TheTVdB (which makes sense as it is still the only reliable source for artwork).

Also have a look at the Trakt plugin, as they uses many sources of info (TheTVdB, TV, IMDb, etc) and you can expose a lot of that info from within MP-TVSeries if you setup an account and sync your shows. There calendar system shows neatly the 'Premieres' of all shows and 'your shows' and if memory serves me, that is exposed via the Trakt plugin. Tighter integration of this info within the view of a show inside MP-TVSeries might also be an option to request (best to do that at the Google code project page issue tracker for the Trakt plugin then though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom