[Pending] Added process priority setting to Comskip Launcher plugin. (1 Viewer)

cwchapma

Portal Pro
October 15, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
@RonD,
I *think* this one should do it. I also changed it so it only lowers the IO priority and memory priority if the CPU priority is set to Idle (which is now the default - for a fresh install). Let me know if works for you.

Clint

Attachments

• ComSkipLauncher.zip
    8.7 KB

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    cwchapma,

Tried the comskip du jour (1/29/14) on my system, with comskip = Idle, Resource Manager shows CPU = IDLE, IO = VeryLow/Background and my test system runs smoothly with 5-10 active recordings, 5-10 comskips, and 2 MePo clients (1 local, 1 remote) playing a video. I give this a (y) and will retire my scriptomatic approach.

TV Server has a i5-3450 4-core 3.1 GHz CPU using one WD 2 GB, 20EARX "green drive" dedicated for recordings. Resource Manager shows about 30 MB/s disk BW with this activity. With 5 recordings 5*2 MB/s, 2 video plays 2*2 MB/s, I guess the comskips are using 16 MB/s or so of disk BW. Tested using comskip rev = 0.81.056, no comskip throttling.

This is for "comskip at end" so I want comskip to run quietly in the background and not interfere with TVservice recording or MePo Client Playing shows. Not sure how you would tune comskip for "Live Comskip" using "comskip at start" and wanted comskip to keep up with the realtime video.

cwchapma

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    @RonD, Glad it works for you. Sorry it voids your scripts but I wouldn't have figured any of it out without your info. Thanks again for the info and for testing my updates so thoroughly. I'll have to see about getting it integrated with main build - this TVEngine update is going to stall that a bit.

I run my "at start" now. I thought maybe the live skipping patch had made it into 1.6 but apparently not. I haven't figured out whether comskip keeps up or not with the reduced priority. I guess ultimately you might want the priority to be increased slightly for shows that actively being watched if you want live skipping.

Cheers,
    Clint

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    OK, if this is the wrong place to post please advise me. I recently purchased/donated comskip and loaded it to my system. I was on MP1.10 and I could not get it to launch. If I run the test from within TVserver setup I get a quick command screen (dos) and it exits without processing the file but does scroll a bunch of stuff on the screen so I know it launched. I tried before recording with and without the " -T" as an option. I have tried after recording and it will not work in any case. If I set .ts to default launch comskip and click on a show it works beautifully. I can run about 10 or so at a time and it does not affect MP server or viewer. I upgraded to MP1.11 to see if it would solve the problem and at the end of the recording MP bombed. I have attached the logs. I must have something set up wrong. If I was guessing I would suspect MP was spawnning the process as a sub process and exiting without a good spawn causing it to fail (i.e. spawning a shell to execute a spawn and exiting the shell. But, I don't know anything about that stuff. Thanks to you guys I can forget the 60s, 70s, 80s and most of the 90s and just watch TV. Thank you for all your work, I love MP and I really love MP with comskip. It is my answer to Netflix. So, Please, someone Please help or let me know what I can do to help.

Attachments

• Comskip Launcher.JPG
      Comskip Launcher.JPG
      79.7 KB

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    you might be running into a strange windows program execution permissions problem. see this forum message
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...skip81_069-problem.128183/page-2#post-1107115

the last part of the ComSkip wiki gives more info
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...n/13_Plugins/ComSkip_Launcher#Troubleshooting

does comskip run if you manually, outside of MePo run comskip and produce the needed comskip info? Open the folder with the comskip.exe and drag a YourTestRecoding.ts file to the comskip.exe program, should launch/run comskip. Try a short 30 minute file.

does comskip run if you run comskip using the Tv Server setuptv.exe program. Go to the Plugins > ComSkipLauncher. use the "..." button to select YourTestRecoding.ts file then press "test" should run Comskip.

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Thanks @RonD for your reply. I have read many things about setting permissions but have not read what permissions. The program runs fine outside MP. When I launch from Tv Server Plugins > ComSkipLauncher I get a quick screen which looks like what I see if I run comskip outside MP and then it exits before completion. Currently, the folder and all contents are owned by administrator. The administrator and system have full control and everyone else has read/execute, list and read. I don't know what else to set and would appreciate any suggestions. Permissions might be a problem but if it were, would it launch at all? Currently it is installed as "c:\Program Files\Comskip\comskip.exe" Would it be prudent to put it in the MP directory, C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\Comskip. I don't see it should make a difference but .... So, in reply to your suggestions. 1.) yes I read all these and no solutions. 2.) I read all these and no solutions, including the links. 3.) yes comskip runs manually. 4.) Sort of. It launches and exits prior to completion. I am running the donated to version not the free version and I do not get the message "your computer is being kept secure".

I hate the thought but maybe I need to wipe everything out and start over. It takes a long time to set it all up but it might be worth the several days to get comskip to work. I have considered installing MP as a fresh install rather than an upgrade rather than a clean sweep. I really would like to figure this out if possible.[DOUBLEPOST=1429889844][/DOUBLEPOST]

Is it possible to have Tvserver schedule comskip? If Tvserver could execute schtasks with comskip and the file name it should eliminate all blocking and permissions problems as it will run in a separate environment.

Also, after I run comskip manually MP plays back fine skipping commercials automatically.

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    I would not suggest doing a MePo reinstall, not sure it would help. As a test I did the following on m win7 system.

Downloaded the latest public version of Comskip, unzipped, and put the complete comskip folder and all comskip files in the following folder C:\Program Files (x86)\comskip81_074

used the setuptv.exe program and setup Plugins > ComskipLauncher as follows
    Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\comskip81_074\comskip.exe
    Parameters: "{0}"

ran a quick Plugins > ComskipLauncher manual test let this run on a test file Sportswrap _ - 2015-04-19.ts . On my test system this runs, when this was done my recordings folder had 4 new "comskip files" including a Sportswrap _ - 2015-04-19.log with comskip log info.

Could you use setuptv.exe Plugins > ComskipLauncher, run a manual "test" on a Test.ts recording and upload the comskip Test.log file. Maybe there are some hints in the log file. My log file has the following

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    @RonD while you ran your test I did a screen capture on mine. This is some kid of weird problem for sure. I upload several snap shots and two recorded screen sessions. One showing TVserver and the other running the exact same file from windows. See what you think. Hum, I cannot upload mp4 files so I put them on my web site. See if you can access them. http://dkjjt.com/pictures/Direct execution same file.mp4 and http://dkjjt.com/pictures/MP-Comskip.mp4 . I hope this helps. It makes no sense to me why everyone else is working and I am not. It must be something very simple.
    BTW - I really appreciate your help and patience with me. The snapshots were taken from playing the MP-Comskip.mp4 file, stopping it and taking a snap.[DOUBLEPOST=1429895723][/DOUBLEPOST]Just to check, I downloaded the same version as you. Extracted and put it in Program Files(86). Put this program and TVServer and got exactly the same thing. No change. RATS! (frustration noted). :)

Attachments

• Comskip 1.JPG
      Comskip 1.JPG
      163.8 KB
    • Comskip 2.JPG
      Comskip 2.JPG
      178.6 KB
    • Comskip 3.jpg
      Comskip 3.jpg
      154.6 KB
    • Comskip 4.jpg
      Comskip 4.jpg
      190.7 KB
    • Comskip 5.jpg
      Comskip 5.jpg
      161.7 KB
    Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    could you upload the comskip.log files that comskip generates when it tries to run. Maybe these give a hint on where comskip gets into trouble.

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    I would love to however, it does not generate a log file that I can find. I have been looking in the directory of the movie file. Let me see if one shows up somewhere else. I think I am having all this trouble because my clothes are the wrong color, if I could just figure out the right color. :D It will be Monday before I can look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom