Adding cool IMDB features to MP ;) (1 Viewer)

jmpiulachs

Portal Member
December 19, 2005
Hi , I have been inspecting the MP source code for weeks and found that you are trying to integrate too much funcionalty inside the codebase that could be pulled out of the application and shared among users in the form of a webservice making INMO the code much smaller and more efficient.

BTW I have created a IMDB.com crawler/wrapper exposed as a webservice , I also created a VS2003 sample client (http://www.mediainfodb.net/movieinfo/)

I think that integrating several of this services can make MP more powerful .This architecture abstracts the application away from the underlying metadata extraction/parsing tasks letting the application simply manage the delivered information/metadata from the services.

There are many other advantages :
  • Several data sources/providers can be mixed on the server side
    Old clients can take advantage of the new features added to the service.
    Less code to mantain on the MP codebase

I have other ideas ... but for now ... please take a look and tell me what you think...

Dordo

Portal Pro
December 3, 2004
I don't know enough about this at all but from what I can gather this seems like a good idea, kind of like a core kernal and other processes running as services etc... I should think it would do wonders for stability aswell and make the client server idea alot easier. But basically from what I can tell it more or less involves totally re-writing media portal?? Eh I dont know what I am really talking about Ill shut up now.

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Hi,

Great that you have made some research about how to make MP better. If i may suggest how to proceed with your idea. Make simple plugin of your webservice first and announce it on plugins section on this forum. This way it is simpler to proceed to next level (replacing imdb search functions on core mp)

Looking forward your info grapper framework :)

And if you want to have comments from those whom really can code ... maybe development part of forum would be better place to discuss.

CoolHammer

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    A very small suggestion -slightly out of context.
    If the genre in the tvguide is movie, it would be nice to be able to lookup IMDB info. But, I have no idea how to implement.

Anyhow, good luck.

Teaboy

Portal Member
    January 31, 2005
    onkl said:
    A very small suggestion -slightly out of context.
    If the genre in the tvguide is movie, it would be nice to be able to lookup IMDB info. But, I have no idea how to implement.

Anyhow, good luck.

Good idea, although TV series, TV movies and documentaries are also shown on IMDb so perhaps every genre other than "News", etc. (I'm sure there are others) could be linked to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom