MP2 - V2.4.1 Adding Extra Features to the Database... (1 Viewer)

groovybaby

Portal Pro
December 3, 2017
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
I think it’s quite challenging to write a plugin w/o C# skills. I’m not able to write a plugin. If I were you I’d start with something simple, e.g. taking a rather easy plugin, analyzing it, creating a copy of it with a new guid-ID and taking out all the unneeded parts and finally adding features step by step.
the weather or news plugins could be something. Maybe @Brownard or @morpheus_xx have a better approach or link to a tutorial.
So where can I download that kind of raw code, and how would I work on it, eg: is there some kind of development-environment that I should use, to be able to get it to interact with a test-version of MP2?

I'm not sure, but think I read somewhere in the MP2 coding introduction notes, that plugins could be created with Visual Basic Net

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So where can I download that kind of raw code, and how would I work on it, eg: is there some kind of development-environment that I should use, to be able to get it to interact with a test-version of MP2?

I'm not sure, but think I read somewhere in the MP2 coding introduction notes, that plugins could be created with Visual Basic Net
    Our repository is on GitHub and can be found here. You can download the master branch for now, it’s identical with the MP2.4.1 version.
    For editing I recommend Visual Studio Community edition (free). You can build the code and run the code inside of VS. I can provide a bit more infos on the base structure and building process tomorrow, but then my skills are already done. It will be mostly reading existing code and learning by doing, our devs do not have much time to explain basics I fear.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    but it may help if I could see the type of coding currently used in MP2
    The best place to start would be the source code here
    with some guide notes as to how MP2 operates + examples and info on how a plugin connects and interacts with MP2
    There is a very basic 'Hello World' example plugin here and a plugin template here, for more complex usage you should probably have a look at some examples of self-contained plugins like News or Weather. There is also some more information as to how things fit together in the wiki here.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I forgot about the HelloWorld example, that would be the best start point! I think Brownard provided already all basics :)

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    The best place to start would be the source code here

There is a very basic 'Hello World' example plugin here and a plugin template here, for more complex usage you should probably have a look at some examples of self-contained plugins like News or Weather. There is also some more information as to how things fit together in the wiki here.

I forgot about the HelloWorld example, that would be the best start point! I think Brownard provided already all basics :)

Thanks guys for your help so far, I'll check out the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom