[Videos] Adding madVR support (1 Viewer)

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    From my point of view, I'm willing to work with any media player developer who's interested in integrating madVR. I'm even willing to add custom interfaces to madVR, if that's necessary. What I'm not willing to do is totally change the way madVR works (e.g. letting the media player take over D3D presentation) because that would result in major losses in madVR functionality/benefits.
    Oh, an in addition to that previous post - any volunteers to start to work with the madVR integration?

Quoting myself from a really old post. We still lack development resources.

I could myself take a peek / try to have some proof of concept with the madVR + MP1 integration at some point (with current combination of work the Blu-ray support, audio renderer and few other areas and the personal free time probably not anytime soon :(). But before starting that there should be two things on madVR's side:

1) API should have a presentation callback that provides the video frame as texture
    2) Renderer should implement the MediaPortal audio renderer's control interface

I'm still really skeptic that I find the required free time anytime soon (next year).

So whilst I would love to see this, I am not holding out much hope that a C++ dev comes along who wants to pick apart this area of the MP code and invest a significant amount of time to develop MadVR support :(

So one basic question remaining - is madshi able to add resources to MP Development as it seems to lack some major skils / resources at the moment? Does it beneifit him and / or MP in any way bringing two great developments together? I know cleaning up code is a pain in the ass (never touch a running system ...)

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So one basic question remaining - is madshi able to add resources to MP Development as it seems to lack some major skils / resources at the moment? Does it beneifit him and / or MP in any way bringing two great developments together? I know cleaning up code is a pain in the ass (never touch a running system ...)
    Able yes, willing not sure. There is nothing in it for him and he has implemented some of the functionality to allow programs to do some of the things MP would need to do.

You can ask him and I would love to think he would say yes but I have a feeling he has previously said he would not.

It is not so much about not touching working code but rather that we are dealing with an ageing legacy code base where there are fixes on top of hacks on top of bodges on top of hacks... Just trying to figure out what some code does is difficult let alone figuring out what it is meant to do!

sierramike

January 14, 2013
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

I'm joining the thread as I'd like to give a try to MediaPortal, and was first wondering if it could allow me to put the same configuration I have in MPC-HC but in integrated player, so I could have more integration, from GUI or usability point of views.

I don't want to start a debate of which renderer gets the best picture, as I still haven't tryed the MePo one. But my first thought, over picture quality that could be close, is who between CPU and GPU is doing things in EVR ? 'cause actually Avisynth scripts kinda uses a lot of my CPU power, so I am happy with madVR deporting lot of calculations (for image downscaling or chroma upscaling for example) to the GPU ...

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    madVR will win in the picture quality - but not much when watching 1080p content :)

All movies are not 1080p lol
    @sierramike : For help tourettes, and you should read in this post !
    1. One Dev, must be assigned to it ! (and all missing times), maybe you are Dev ? ;)
    2. Madvr is closed (source are not available) for work/adapt with MPAR ( MediaPortal Audio Renderer = Reclock)
    3. if this, is include , we are Happy !
    @tourettes , rights ? :p

Last edited:

Harald63

Portal Member
    December 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Although this is an old topic, I can confirm, what Madshi said about 25 fps movie content. You can choose whatever video codec and combine with or without Dynamic Refresh Rate in MP settings and this will for sure show heavy judder/stuttering with the internal MP video player. Using ffdshow with MADvr with an external player and you get nice a smooth playback. So for me there is no alternative, than using an external video player in MP. Works with MPC-HC, Zoom Player etc.

This is a problem both in MP version 1.3/1.4/1.5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom