Adjustable playback tempo with constant pitch (1 Viewer)

phrvgi

April 25, 2008
United States of America United States of America
Started on: 2008-04-25
last update: 2008-04-25

Summary:

Adjust playback rate of a prerecorded TV program anywhere from half speed to double speed, with pitch-corrected audio. Very addicting feature once you try it. Open source code available.

Description:

Usually this feature is used to watch entire programs in about two-thirds the time, or skim it with audio in half the time. It is especially useful for programs with a lot of talking such as speeches and discussion panels, as well as documentaries. Even entertainment programs can be sped up a little, but you might not want to. Experience with this feature in MythTV has shown that just about any program can be sped up 15% to 20% without people noticing. It takes a few minutes of experience to get up to 50%, and then 70% faster and still comprehend everything people are saying. Slow speakers can still be understood at 100% faster.

MythTV (an open source PVR for Linux) has this feature and it works very well. However, the user interface for changing speeds is awkward: Press "A" and then use arrow keys to adjust speed in 5% increments. A better way to adjust would be to have dedicated buttons on the remote to speed up or slow down in 5% increments, so the feature is as easy to use as the volume control.

Once someone is used to this feature, it becomes a "must have" for any PVR to be considered. When deprived of it, watching any prerecorded program feels like a waste of time (not the watching part, but that it takes so long to get through it).

To see it in action just set up MythTV on a spare hard drive. I recommend googling "mythdora" or "mythbuntu" for easy, preconfigured setups. I would love to see this feature ported to a Windows-based PVR.

RBwaBD

Portal Member
August 8, 2008
great idea. use VLC player usually for this

i'd be highly interested in getting this as well integrated in MP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M 1.24.0 Volume Overwrite by Mixer Bugreports 2
S Mini Display MP 1.24 no Volume OSD no action for keys Mini Display 0
T Screen surface adjustment Feature Requests 1
mp2-ulrich [solved] volume not adjustable General 12
C Current NUC or Intel Stick as an MP client for HD playback - minimum requirements? General 6
S Resume Playback Annoyance Newcomers Forum 4
K Flickering live TV playback Newcomers Forum 3
J [solved] Blu-ray disc playback does not work. Bugreports 15
morpheus_xx [WiP] OnlineVideos: New browser based playback support using WebDriver, new Amazon siteutil MediaPortal 2 14
doskabouter [Help Me!] Playback of iTunes Movie Trailers Developer Discussions 0
I Video Playback Stuttering General Support 45
horned_reaper [solved] Music playback hangs General Support 58
bta489 [solved] System goes to Standby during Amazon Prime Playback OnlineVideos 2
A 1.24.0 1.24 Kills 3D MVC playback on MadVr 1.24-1.26 Pre Release 66
Z [solved] DVD playback is super glitchy General 2
A Working server, no video playback on client General 5
L MP Playback Freezes When Unpausing from Minimized Screen General Support 6
Cowboy Playback Problem with CTD or sometimes BSOD watch/edit Videos 0
Glith Sound stops working after first playback 1.21 88
G Mediaportal2 supported formats General 1
W Playback stuttering after upgrade from MP1 on Windows 7 to MP2 on Windows 10 General 2
joecrow Refresh rate not returned to default after 3D playback 1.21 Pre Release 0
bta489 [solved] Stuttering playback of edited recordings watch/edit Videos 2
A TV playback intermittently stops on clients Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server) 4
T frequent black screen no audio on playback NOT from beginning Watch / Listen Media 0