Admin-Request: Skin-Screenshots (1 Viewer)

mdbarber

Portal Pro
February 19, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
cheers for that m8, but as it's prob going to be 12 mths before i plug the rf keyboard in again the link info will have been forgotten by then ;)

Addow

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2008
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    However the gallery script is partly broken, I have sent you the XFace screenshots of a daily MP system. Hope you can use them to extend the gallery, even if it's just for one of the future versions. Good luck!

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    screenies

ok then the keyboard got plugged in so have posted a few on my storage all 1360*768, MP 1.0.2 running xface/mymovies

just notice ss res dowsn't match my display res, any one know why?

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    it would be cool to see a better file system and screenshot system.

every time i upload an update to my skin, I need to manually upload every screenshot one-at-a-time.

at the very least, the upload box should allow me to select more than one file at once.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    +1 Citizen Keys - however the developers have been trying and trying to find some developer to update the repository without luck (every one quits before doing much of use)! So see my proposal below.

@High - I am so confused - where should I update my skin (aMPed)?
    1. Repository - done
    2. Skins Forum - done
    3. MP Gallery - in the 1st post you said if screenshots were uploaded to the repository they would appear in the gallery - is that still true? Doubt it, since mine have never been added! :p
    4. Extensions-Skins - MediaPortal Manual Documentation - this is also out of date, which is pretty bad since it is what the link: "more new and hot skins..." in MP Config goes to! Again, not your fault. I have never added aMPed there as it only allows for one screenshot and no MP Verison #. Plus, very few of the updated skins have been added - so I think the terms 'new' and 'hot' are inaccurate ;)

Out of all 4 options there is still no place a user can easily find the skins for the current release of MP. The Skins Forum Maintained skins is the closest, but only 'poplular' skins make it there, and never 4:3 skins (well, PureVision, but only because it is also 16:9). I usually use the Repository and sort by date submitted, but it took me a while to figure out this was the best workaround (yeah I'm slow :))

No criticism is implied! However, this is a mess for both skinners and users. What can I do to help? I know the proper solution is to fix the Repository, but... 'nough said! Let's stop waiting for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

So what about providing an alternate way to access skins that then links to the download in the Repository? (No change to Repository required)

Option 1 - Gallery:
    For screenshots, it looks to me like the Gallery is already functional for this purpose. Is that true? If so:
    • Is it possible to allow skinners to upload screenshots to the gallery and to update links there?
    • OR, could they provide a zip that gets submitted when they submit to the repository that you can use to update the gallery? If so, has this been integrated into Dukus work on MPEI2?
    • Can they easily add a link from the Repository post for the skin to the Gallery screenshots?
    • Can the Gallery be easily 'reorganized' a bit - i.e. into sections - Default/Community; 4:3/16:9/16:10; Current MP Release/Older Releases,/Archived (no longer maintained) or something like that?
    • Can the Gallery support more than one link? Currently it links nicely to screenshots, but could we add a download link and a forum link?
    • Can skinners easily link to the Gallery from their forum post (so they don't need to repost screenshots)? Of course WIP skins would still post sample screenshots in the forum.
    • Could the Gallery link on homepage/repository be renamed Skins?
    • If all the above is possible - could the link in MP Config change to the Gallery page instead of the Wiki page?

Option 2 - Use Wiki:
    If the Gallery is not fully functional for this purpose, then perhaps we could use the Wiki Page. However, can the Wiki Page:
    • link to the Gallery (or somewhere) to show all screenshots
    • show the MP release(s) supported
    • fix current links to go directly to skin in repository, (not just the download section as they do in some cases)
    • link to skin forums for each skin (if available)
    • have a link on MP Homepage and Repository to go to 'Skins' Wiki
    If you think this option is 'workable' each skin can add a link to the repository to go to their screenshots page (i.e. Gallery?) instead of the laborious process of updating screenshots in the repository.

Personally, I prefer Option 1 if it is technically feasible. Primarily because it would mean as a skinner I only have to upload the download file to repository and add a link to my gallery page for skin details. It also means Users can access up-to-date skin info from either the Gallery or the Repository. And no more confusion between skins listed under MPI vs zip downloads (I can never find Black Glass cuz it is one of the few skins under MPI. I have never figured out why MPI has to be a separate section!)

What do you think? Possible? I don't know much about how the MP site 'works' so I really need your input. I suspect there are problems with both options or you would have done them already. I am just trying to come up with a solution to this ongoing issue.

admin

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 1, 2001
    puh..so much text this morning ;) I try to answer some points in short but sorry for not having the time to answer all right now

3. MP Gallery - in the 1st post you said if screenshots were uploaded to the repository they would appear in the gallery - is that still true? Doubt it, since mine have never been added! :p
    thats ment a little different, you can send me a zip-file including the screens via mail or upload the zip to the repo (if your mail-account is limited) so I can get it from there to update the gallery manually. Theres no direct connection between gallery and repo.

I have never added aMPed there as it only allows for one screenshot and no MP Verison #.
    same as always..if users/designers whatever do not add their products to those regions...it will always be outdated.

The gallery will be removed for the new page as the script isnt maintained anymore, so theres no valid Joomla 1.5 version availible. Userupload/edits were possible in the past but it was never used by anyone so I decided to get rid of those photogallerys and just present some main-skins with a little text/dl-link to each skin and some screenshots. Thats easier to maintain and hopefully more interesting for new visitors then to click through 300 outdated screenshots.

The repo will be a little more uploadfriendly once this page is up. Theres shouldnt be a need to reupload images just after an update and you can add several pics at a time. Sorting is also changed and some more statistics are shown.

about the wiki...that skin-overview was created by charlie and is more or less users/designers work to get constantly updated. But thats the same as always...no ones going to update it from time to time. So if you spend some time checking the skins out..why not hit the edit button and fix/add missing links/skins on that page? ;)

(I have never figured out why MPI has to be a separate section!)
    that was a needed step for dukus online updater so his list would only include MPI-stuff. The updater was never fully finished and so...we have still that 2 areas for the moment. Same here as above, on the new page there wont be a difference and also external links will be possible again.

More than someone who reworks the repo we could need some reliable english guys that could write/rewrite/overwork some presentation texts (features aso) as the page is technically mostly ready...its just missing a lot updated content to go online...

--high

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    @High - yeah, sorry for the long post :p I was 'inspired' LOL!

So, if Gallery is going to be 'removed' in it's present form - that is a no go. Your plans for it sound good to me. I would only request that some 4:3 be included (not necessarily aMPed :D)

The changes to the repo sound as if they will address my 'concerns', in fact, they sound great, so I will wait to see the results! Hopefully there will be a way to link to it from MP Config - General - Skins instead of to the outdated Wiki page. Would it be any help to you if I tried to restructure and update the Wiki page somewhat? (EDIT: Scratch that - you already said it would, so I will!)

More than someone who reworks the repo we could need some reliable english guys that could write/rewrite/overwork some presentation texts (features aso) as the page is technically mostly ready...its just missing a lot updated content to go online...
    Well, English is my first language, and I have done some writing. So, if I can be any help feel free to PM me with details of what you need and I'll see if I can commit to the time required and thus be 'reliable'. Since the homepage and repository are often the first look a new user gets at MediaPortal, I feel they are very important, and I am happy to offer some time to helping out if I can. (and I'll try to be more concise :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom