Advice for two new MP Frontend devices - one powerful, one not so much.

Discussion in 'General' started by elsmandino, April 30, 2014.

1. elsmandino

elsmandino Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Hi,

I have just made the decision to separate out my standalone HTPC into two separate parts.

I now have a headless Server (i3-2105) running Argust TV backend and I need to buy myself a new PC to run Mediaportal as a client only for my living room.

Furthermore, I am currently using a laptop as a Mediaportal client in my bedroom and I need to think about getting something a bit more permanent as a replacement.

It therefore need two potential PCs - I want the one for the living room to be fairly powerful as I want the best possible viewing experience (in addition to Mediaportal, I use Sky Go and Netflix).

The one in the bedroom need not be as powerful for obvious reasons but should hopefully not be laggy in any way.

I would be grateful for any advice.

My initial thought was to buy an i3 NUC but they do not seem good value in the circumstances. As I have a spare SSD, RAM, Small Case, and PSU lying round, do you think it would make sense to buy a mini-itx motherboard with an i3-4330 (which as the HD4600 Graphics)?

With regards to the bedroom PC, would I be able to get away with one of the cheaper NUC's and, if so, which one?

Thanks very much in advance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. elsmandino

elsmandino Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Hmmmm - been doing a bit more research and it seems that the G3220 is also worth looking at for an HTPC frontend.

Does anyone think I would notice any difference between this and the i3-4330 as an HTPC front end?

4. porky996t
    • Premium Supporter

porky996t MP Donator

Chartered Surveyor
    Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    I'd be interested to see what you end up with a I am thinking of upgrading the bedroom Zotac ZBox... it just seems a tad laggy now.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!